knot box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
remember I asked a few days ago about filling in a Knot on a box lid?
Well I tried CA glue on a scrap piece and although it filled the knot, when I sanded it gown it went opaque which was "knot" what I wanted.

So I left it natural and it came out pretty good.

IMG_1774_zpsd0qsi0j3.jpg

IMG_1779_zpsr1nkq5rp.jpg

The box is 6" x 3" x 2 1/2". Scrap from a large bandsaw box drawer. deep routed.

i just need to learn to take better photo's, the lid isnt half bare, its just a reflection.

Very smart!

Are these the jewellery boxes you were asking about hinges for? If so, the lid seems to stay up nicely without any complicated mechanism - is it just a case of making sure the hinges are a bit stiff?

And I like the dark green lid - is that the flocking sorted ok?

Andy, I must take a better picture, the lid is flocked, but its not green its black. Its not perfect though, still some clogging but this box was just using up some scrap wood so i also used the old flocking. O.K. but not perfect.

No these hinges are very cheap chinese, the lid is wedged open for the pic. But I did buy some of the stop hinges and they are pretty good for the money (£8). They are on the music boxes which are finished except for flocking.
I'm back in the UK in 2 weeks time and have ordered proper glue and new flocking for there so I shall have to do a quick job before giving the music boxes to the grandkids.

That's a lovely box Bob.
I really love the contrast and the finish looks great =D>

Sherman, it was originally a solid piece of laminated woods that formed part of a much larger bandsaw box, but basically no, its not a bandsaw box apart from the fact I cut the lid off on the bandsaw. The interior and the dished internal lid was routed out on the router table.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

sunnybob":44lixhvr said:
Sherman, it was originally a solid piece of laminated woods that formed part of a much larger bandsaw box, but basically no, its not a bandsaw box apart from the fact I cut the lid off on the bandsaw. The interior and the dished internal lid was routed out on the router table.

Thanks for all the kind comments.
Oh ok...I can see that now :) As thick as it makes me sound it never occurred to me to route out a box :oops:
once again once work!

I've been learning new things to do with a router table for almost 2 years now, and still learning.
Its my favourite tool by far.

Back