Knock down fittings for beds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want just the cross dowels i have a load in the workshop. I would be happy to send you some for your project for free but you would have to get your own bolts.

jon

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, your link won't work with Firefox (Not for me anyhow), but thanks for the info. I will check it out later.

I didn't realise LV did the Bed-Bolts too. Mainly because I normally use Screwfix bolts, nuts and penny washers! I am a cussed type at times and I like to cut the housings for the nuts in an arched shape! Just me and one of my foibles!

I have to make a bed for my own room, so I'll consider proper bed-bolts for once! Thanks again Dave.

Regards
John :D

The link worked for me, also using Firefox.

The little dowels are referred to as Barrel Nuts by my local supplier and should be easy to get hold of. You then just need to get the appropriate bolt to fit the thread. I would think that is much cheaper than importing them from Canada

All (Many?) of the IKEA beds and bunks rely on Bolts and Barrel Nuts.

You can pay wildly different prices for the Nuts. When I needed a few to
repair/modify an IKEA bunk bought secondhand they were in boxes of 100 from screwfix at 2p each plus lots of postage or £1.24 EACH in B&Q bagged in singles! I got some for an in between price elsewhere.

For their strongest aligning joints they actually use a double barrel sitting in a single hole, which then takes two bolts spaced by about 40mm. This helps align and strengthen those particular joints. I don't know if you can buy these anywhere though.

Although the barrels will take any suitable metric bolt the official bolts have a wide head which is either slightly raised or flat and almost flush to reduce the scope for people to catch themselves on a normal bolt head while spreading the compressive load on the leg timbers. They also have a recessed hex drive hole in the head for the same reason - no edges. Those aspects are worth bearing in mind if using normal bolts/nuts.

Latest posts

Back