Kity slot mortiser; bits for

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Ducat

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first posted topic.

My Kity combi planer-thicknesser has a slot mortiser attached to the left hand side, so the shaft rotates clockwise, looking at the chuck, (i.e. the opposite way to a drill).
Is this something peculiar to Kity, or are other combis built like this?

I need new slotting bits, and I wondered if anyone knew a source for them. Also; what are the recommendations about sharpening them. Is this limited to the point, and are the angles and backing off about the same as a twist drill, only opposite handed, of course?
All info and advice gratefully received.

Roger

Hi Roger, welcome aboard.

I use Clico bits, they are excellent. They have one straight edge and one serrated edge. I use them in a router, turned down as slow as it will go (which is still rather faster than the manufacturer intended) and they produce lovely mortices.

I get mine from Dalton's in Nottingham. They are a small company but have a big showroom and helpful staff. It sounds like you need to specify Left-Hand cut.

HTH
Steve

I've met a few continental European furniture makers who have come to train or work in the UK. Without exception their biggest surprise is that we generally have vertical chisel morticers instead of the horizontal slot morticers that they're used to. Having used both they conclude that we must be daft to stick with chisel morticers, when slot morticers are so much more versatile. I think they've probably got a point!

custard":2ssdgocx said:
I've met a few continental European furniture makers who have come to train or work in the UK. Without exception their biggest surprise is that we generally have vertical chisel morticers instead of the horizontal slot morticers that they're used to. Having used both they conclude that we must be daft to stick with chisel morticers, when slot morticers are so much more versatile. I think they've probably got a point!

I tend to agree Custard.

I've had a Kity K5 for 30 years and used the little slot morticer a lot, bought an Axi AW19 a number of years ago for the extra capacity but used it very little before selling it on.

I prefer to mortice by hand but last week cut 20 on the K5 for a garden seat back in reclaimed mahogany and it's so simple and quick to use saved me loads of time. Much quicker imo than the floor standing AXI as long as you're happy with rounded tenons.

Bob

Dw1150 mortiser: from research ive concluded spare bits must be 13mm left hand ones is this correct? and any length requirements? I know this is old tool but someone might know, thanks

I have a bestcombi 2000 and the bits for that are left hand (i.e. the opposite way to a standard drill bit) with a 10mm shaft (any bigger diameter bits have a step in the shaft to take them down to 10mm) if that’s any use?

Back