Kity Bestcombi 2000 planer problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper 0505

Reaction score
Any advise welcome. My problem is; tipped the machine onto it's side and found the belt that drives the grooved roller had snapped. On closer inspection I see that the roller no longer sits level, it's higher at one end, this has caused the belt to run out of alignment and break. But what has moved/broken that has caused the roller to move? AND it looks an massive task to strip it down to access the roller and its fitting, any tips on how to resolve this gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Jasper

I can't help you with the problem, but I can tell how to get the planer off its only 6 bolts you need to remove, if you look at the thickneser section there are 3 bolts on each side holding it on the the saw/spindle. You can get to the top two easily but the bottom ones are difficult I separated the base from the top and wedged it apart to get to the nuts on the inside. You will need to unplug the motor.
once you get it apart you should be able to see what is wrong.

Pete

Don't know the detail of the Kity, but assuming the feed roller is sprung like it is on my Lurem, one problem can be build up of chips under the bearing for the roller. If mine isn't cleaned regularly or the extractor gets blocked (or forgotten :oops: ) then it can be lifted enough to stop feeding.
Just could be that this has happened only on one side with your machine?

It's difficult Without any pics,(you need 3 posts) It's very helpful for us to help you!
I would agree with dickm and crud in the housing, get some pics on.
Have you found any metal pieces, like a bearing breaking up?
Seeing where you live, You shouldn't have problems with spares, belts etc.
Regards Rodders

Hi, can't get any photos quickly as the machine is at a friends a few miles away as I have been building some wardrobes for him. But I will follow advise, dismantle the planer and see if it's just fragments of wood forcing the roller out of alignment. There is so evidence of any broken up parts other than the drive belt... will be a few days before I can check it out, but will get back to you all and report on progress.
Thanks for all the advise. Jasper

Hi everyone, received the new belt yesterday and finally managed to strip the machine down this morning, Petes advice spot on, once the planer was separated by removing the 6 bolts I managed to remove the LHS top plate, this exposed the end of the roller. I found it jammed with sawdust, so much so that it had lifted the roller against the tensioning spring by about 5mm. Cleaned it out, lubricated it, reassembled and all good.

Thanks for all the advise, Jasper

Little late to add a post here however, comments may help someone in the future. Sorted out my thicknesser problem after going through these old posts, yes problem was build up of debris causing the roller to be lifted on one end. Remedy-managed to avoid strip down by using a small car jack inside the thicknesser compartment to gently raise the rollers up against the springs giving plenty of clearance to get under the rollers to clean with cotton buds and wd40. Job done.

That sounds like a good method to in jam the rollers, a lot less work than removing the planer.

Pete

Back