Kitchen worktop repair - suggestions needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertMP

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday my wife put a hot frying pan onto the kitchen worktop which resulted in a loudish popping sound and a 2p sized area of the surface exploding away from the substrate. The piece that came off is intact and about the thickness of a heavy paper. It is slightly flexible so I guess it would glue back quite well.

I don't fancy changing the worktop just yet so I either need to glue this spot back or cut out a small area and set in a replacement.

So best glue to use or other suggestions welcomed!

Bit of 2" sellotape over the spot to keep it clean..
kp01.jpg

The patch. It is flatter than it looks...
kp02.jpg

Robert have a look at colorfill.co.uk they make a filler that sets hard and fast normally used along the top face of mason mitre joints.If i was attempting that repair i would tape the piece in place peel back put colorfill on the worktop place the patch and then prop with a batten off the ceiling.Make the end of the batten smaller than damaged piece, because you need to get squeeze out off the worktop before it sets acetone is used for clean up. cheers john c

Yes, as John said, Colorurfill. B+Q sell it (or their version), so you should be able to get a suitably coloured tube that will sort you out as well as you can expect.
At least you know what to make the Missus for next Christmas - a trivet!
Philly :D

And after that:

A bit of artistic work with some white and black acrylic paint, from an art shop. When that's dry a coat or two of matt acrylic varnish and with luck anyone who doesn't know it's there won't notice it.

HTH

John :ho2

I used colourfill for the joints when I installed the tops just over 3 years ago. never thought of using it for repairs. If I still have the tube I'm sure it will be no good now. I'll check out B and Q.

Like the tape it and peel back idea as I was wondering how to get good alignment.

Thanks.

Suspect as above the key is to get it really well positioned and clamped down so that it doesn't stand proud to hopefully eliminate the need for filling and touching up - chances are a bit of polythene under the clamping block would prevent it sticking...

ian

If you could give us a picture showing more of the kitchen we could perhaps be a little more creative with our answers.

Simon

What about a spreader clamp with a batten of wood "clamped" up against the ceiling and the foot of the spreader pressed onto the worktop repair, thereby giving good pressure on the clamped suface.

If that makes any sense :?

Cheers

Karl

This happened to me a few years back, albiet with a cheapo MDF worktop.

I'd only fitted it the day before!!

I routed out a recess & stuck in a ceramic square tile.

People comment on what a good idea it is next to the hob and assume it was "designed in!" :lol:

lurker":2nytgb87 said:
This happened to me a few years back, albiet with a cheapo MDF worktop.

I'd only fitted it the day before!!

I routed out a recess & stuck in a ceramic square tile.

People comment on what a good idea it is next to the hob and assume it was "designed in!" :lol:

Seems like we all overlooked the most obvious and easiest solution!
Well done lurker! :D

Benchwayze":331d8a5e said:
Seems like we all overlooked the most obvious and easiest solution!
Well done lurker! :D

Well I was going to suggest super gluing a coffe cup over the damage but I was worried about getting a slap. :lol:

I did something similar a few years back with a red hot espresso coffee pot!

We had a tiled panel insert inlaid (a granite one too would be OK?) - which made a handy resting place for other hot things :)
Used coloured epoxy grout with the tiles to prevent staining.

Rod

Oryxdesign":2wl7gn28 said:
If you could give us a picture showing more of the kitchen we could perhaps be a little more creative with our answers.

Simon

I replaced all the doors and trims just over a year ago.

Thread is here -
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=26388

Here is one picture from that thread showing the spot (not far from the nearest corner of the glass door cabinet). Not a good place for a tile :)

k052.jpg

Been to screwfix and got some Colorfill.

Unhelpful pippers in there today. I just want one thing says I - can you just get it up with a search on screen?... no says guy with nothing else to do, find it in the catalogue over there and give me the number. grrr

And of course it is not under sealants where he said to look but with the worktops.

Anyway at least they had it in stock after all that. Will have a go later or in the morning. I'll take some pictures so you can see what a mess I make of it :)

Back