Kitchen knives advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a failing for knives. I have some Tsuki, japanese steel and style but made in china, very sharp and keep their edge well. My favourite knife is a Lakeland chefs knife (select range I think, just over £30 )
For sharpening I use a Edgepro (Proedge?) clone bought on ebay, a fantastic piece of kit. For more help with sharpening try http://forums.egullet.org/topic/26036-k ... harpening/ it's very informative. I brought some old knives back to a useful life with the clone.

Kalimna":1gfb2bj5 said:
The Kai Shun handled are a slightly offset asymmetric oval that I find very comfortable to hold, and whilst stay nicely sharp, I don't find they hold the keenest of edges, nor are they as easy to sharpen (I do all my sharpening on waterstones, going up to a 12000 King sometimes) as some of my other knives.
Adam S

That's odd Adam, the steel in these seems to be the same or similar to the others you linked to, so don't know why you find them more difficult to sharpen or not giving as good an edge, mine are certainly as sharp as you could wish for in any practical usage I have put them to 8) :D

Perhaps you have left them too long before sharpening and need to restore the edge geometry to bring them back, maybe if the steel is slightly harder than you are used to then ceramic or diamond stones may be more suitable ?

All nice knives in any event, if the budget allowed then I'm sure the OP would be more than happy with any of them :)

Cheers, Paul

Go to the chinese super markets they always have good quality knives there. :D

Kalimna":gp36tjfc said:
The Murata has a high carbon steel, vs the Kai VG10, which might explain it. Otherwise, the waterstones do a grand job, and I am in no way grumbling about the Kai :)

Cheers,
Adam

Aah, that would explain it then :D

Cheers, Paul

I have a set of wusthof for best which hold a good edge but costly. I was given a chines chefs knife - looks like a cleaver - which cost £2.50 and could shave a gnats nuts without it knowing.

But my best knife is a ham knife that was passed down to me from my dad, who had it from his dad and from his dad so getting on for 100 years old now; the handle is a black wood, could be ebony, and is falling off but I can't bear to change it. the blade is down to 12mm wide ad its thinnest after so much sharpening but it can carve ham 2mm thick all day long.

interesting to hear about the sabatier knives, they could be from the original Mr Sabatier if they are that old, proper knives not like the rubbish his sons produced.

Back