Kitchen knife sharpener - any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Robert Welch one on ours, and they stay very, very sharp with just a quick tickle through every now and then.

450x450.clip.SIGSA2102V_2.jpg

My dear old Mum's knives, on the other hand, get used on melamine and glass boards, and require Tormek sharpening.

Depends....

Kitchen knife aficionados, especially those using Japanese knives or artisan knives with blades at Rockwell 60 and up would not dream of using these, citing wrecking blade geometry, poor edge, excessive grinding of material.

If you want razor sharp, superb polished edges on expensive knives, these machines are not the answer. If you have ordinary knives or typical German steel (Wusthoff et al) then they will give a decent enough edge.

I have one that does 15 and 20 degree angles with three blade slots. However, what I actually sharpen on is Japanese waterstones (various grits) stops and diamonds spray. Just depends what you want.

Awww come on!!! :shock: Its a kitchen knife not a Hatorri Hanzo blade for Killing Bill. Funny how we got along with Sheffield steel for centuries to cut meat and veg. I use a butchers sharpening steel. Seems to work. I actually do have a Japanese chefs knife. Its very sharp. A Macusta Zanmei or summat. I sharpen that by waiting for a full moon and facing it at the right angle to the moon beams and standing on one leg. Its very sharp. Sometimes it manages to slice through the layers of reality and make me feel like I can cook better. Its nice to use but it doesnt make my steak taste any better. :wink:

My wife used to work on the meat counter at Waitrose and they use Chantry Knife sharpeners circa £30 if I recall. We bought one and it's excellent. Our knives were reasonably expensive and they come up very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed. It is easy to mock, but some people buy cheap planes and some buy high end at many times the price. Some people buy a ford fiesta and some buy a ferrari. It just depends what you want.

The electric sharpeners tear off quite a bit of metal and they are obviously unsuitable anyway for single bevel knives. There is a string market for white and blue steel Japanese artisan made knives ( and US too and excellent craftsmen like Will Catcheside in the UK) and for top end workmanship a single knife can be many hundreds of pounds. Having seen many high end knives made by Artisans, mainly in Japan, I have yet to see an electric grinder in use. But I have one and they do work, up to a point.

Steels do not sharpen knives by the way, they just reset the edge as long as the steel of the knife is softer than the "steel". They are useless on very hard steels once you get into the upper ends of the rockwell scale for knives.

Anyway, I believe sharpening is a bit of a tricky subject on this site and so shall not comment further the than to say if I wanted to keep a knife very sharp, even relatively soft German steel, I would personally not use an electric grinder, but would prefer wet stones. You can get some that are oK and quite inexpensive. Stropping has more effect than you might expect and you don't need anything fancy. People strop on newspaper, cardboard, felt, balsa, leather.

If you look on knife or razor forums you will find lots of information on this and plenty of videos on you tube.

I wasn't mocking you AJB, so apologies if you took it as so. It was more a tongue in cheek dig at the whole sharpening as a religious experience school of thought. It wasn't aimed at you but I'll take more care how I word my posts in future. Easy to offend online I suppose without the real life 'nod and wink'.

I own a Japanese knife as I said and I do strop that on newspaper as you say. I just wonder how many people own knives that they know the steel properties of. Anyway mine was a trite post, so I won't say anymore. Apologies again if you felt offended. As I say it wasn't intentional and certainly wasn't aimed at you personally.
Regards as always
Chris

I took Bm101's post as it was intended, it made me chuckle.

I just use a butcher's steel on my knives anyway (which technically neither sharpens or hones, but meh).

Charlie Woody":3djf21zm said:
Just seen this on Rutlands website http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+electric-d ... age+DK6802

Has anybody tried this and if so is it any good? Our kitchen knives a lot of tlc before the Christmas turkey is tackled!!!

Knife forums (yes, there are some, many in fact) have threads on sharpening
that make this site look mild mannered... :shock:

(and, yes, jigged versus freehand is one of the issues :wink: )

BugBear (with sharp knives, thank you for asking)

No offence was taken ;-). I use the machine on relations knives that no one really cares about (the knives, not the relations) and which I can't be bothered to sharpen for them by hand. Some people are knife wreckers!

mseries":1wix2g0m said:
so is that Rutlands sharpener any good then ? I guess no one knows

This is the problem with Rutlands; because they don't allow reviews of less than 4 stars it's impossible to tell if any given item is good or not. Everything gets 4-5 stars and you're not allowed to mention any shortcomings.

Sporky McGuffin":2s6giceb said:
mseries":2s6giceb said:

This is the problem with Rutlands; because they don't allow reviews of less than 4 stars it's impossible to tell if any given item is good or not. Everything gets 4-5 stars and you're not allowed to mention any shortcomings.

Which to my mind is as good a reason to avoid them as any !

RogerS":1kq5weyd said:
Sporky McGuffin":1kq5weyd said:
mseries":1kq5weyd said:

Which to my mind is as good a reason to avoid them as any !

Not least as one of the reviews appears to be for a different sharpener that costs £5 and supposedly does serrated blades too which the model in question, or most others, won't do properly !

Cheers, Paul

There are a lot of variations of electric sharpeners around. Most of them are terrible. I use the 15 / 20 edge pro chefs choice when I am not using the stones. You do see quite a lot of Chef's Choice sharpeners in restaurant kitchens. If you don't sharpen blades with Japanese geometry then you don't need two angles. I think the claims that these machines will give a razor sharp edge are total nonsense, but they will give a good usable edge. They shift a lot of metal which is one reason why I don't like them but if you need to true up a badly blunted blade they can be useful. You can get a 2 stage chefs choice 310 for about £47 and I would go for that over the Rutland one. Check out Richmond cookshop on line.

Latest posts

Back