Kitchen Knife Set - Recommendations Please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all for the great advice and suggestions. I decided to slightly up my budget and I took the plunge on a 200mm chef knife, 250mm bread knife and a 120mm utility/parting knife in the Kasumi HM Hammered knives (VG-10 steel). These three knives should be all I need for now and they’ll hopefully last a lifetime, and if in future I find the need for another I could expand upon what I already have. Next workshop project will be to make myself a magnetic knife block 😁

On a different tack, I recently was recommended Kiwi brand knives, made in Thailand. They're so cheap that I picked up a few, and they're really excellent. Ludicrously sharp out the box!
https://www.chopchopchop.co.uk/kiwi-knives.html

Thread resurrection. I've just bought four Kom Kom knives for a Xmas present for my daughter. I bought four after reading this post at the time and find I use them in preference to all my much more expensive knives. Dangerously sharp and easy to keep sharp.

I've got a few Robert Welch knives that I'm very pleased with.

Likewise. Pretty much everything gets done with just three of them - the smallest Santoku, the smallest Chef's knife, and one that was only available at Lakeland that's a mid-sized Chef's knife shape, but with the Santoku flutes.

Another good mid range brand are the German Hammer & Stahl, had ours for eight years and no complaints. You can get what you need here, Hammer Stahl 4 Piece Bamboo Case Set Steel, wood : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen and these three will get you going.

Anyone know why if you want to buy many european products they come from the states, seems like a long way round and I have seen this with both Gernman knives and German pots and pans.

Well there are loads of suggestions here. Food for thought indeed.

Lots of recommendations for the Global knives. They may be excellent knives, but i'm not sure if i like the looks of them or the handles. The handles on the larger Global knives don't look very comfortable... do any Global owners here have any comments on the handles? Does anyone know if there are any high-street retailers other than Lakeland that stock Global knives?

Well those are very attractive Pete... I bet it feels very satisfying to use them!!
Appreciate this is a late response and knives have already been purchased but Peppercorn in Llandeilo stock Global knives. It's a great shop for stuff like that, they are also the main Alessi dealer in Carms to my knowledge. For completeness I have a full compliment of Global knives which I've had for over twenty years now with no issues. They are comfortable across the size range but they aren't going to win any prizes. If I were to replace them I would go Japanese - I bought a small set from Workshop Heaven for my daughter last Christmas along with a decent sharpening stone and have to say that for the price they were just superb.

I also have Robert Welch - three of them. The 12cm, 16cm and 25cm Signature knives. Their shape is ideal as the allow for both cutting and chopping. No problems with sharpening as use a steel every couple of uses, which is what I was taught at a knife skills class - fast and frequent!

Thanks for all the suggestions. This is the set of knives i went for in the end, with the magnetic knife holder behind (from ripples sweet chestnut). I’m over the moon with these knives, they do a superb job and get incredibly sharp.

412F8CEF-AEC9-445E-8623-622C04CF732A.jpeg

Appreciate this is a late response and knives have already been purchased but Peppercorn in Llandeilo stock Global knives. It's a great shop for stuff like that, they are also the main Alessi dealer in Carms to my knowledge. For completeness I have a full compliment of Global knives which I've had for over twenty years now with no issues. They are comfortable across the size range but they aren't going to win any prizes. If I were to replace them I would go Japanese - I bought a small set from Workshop Heaven for my daughter last Christmas along with a decent sharpening stone and have to say that for the price they were just superb.
I know the place, it’s a lovely little shop, but generally quite pricey

I also have Robert Welch - three of them. The 12cm, 16cm and 25cm Signature knives. Their shape is ideal as the allow for both cutting and chopping. No problems with sharpening as use a steel every couple of uses, which is what I was taught at a knife skills class - fast and frequent!
Maybe mine shouldn't have passed q.c. - I couldn't sharpen it no matter how.

Just brought my son a basic victorinox knives for his birthday very sharp but lacking soul. Much prefer my kitchen devil and john Lewis knives I brought as a student some 25years ago gulp!

Cheers James

Thanks for all the suggestions. This is the set of knives i went for in the end, with the magnetic knife holder behind (from ripples sweet chestnut). I’m over the moon with these knives, they do a superb job and get incredibly sharp.

View attachment 120126
Amazed at the extensive discussion on this topic. Very impressed with the range, quality and price of knives in your country. Must toss a curved ball into the court. I made this dicing knife from a table saw blade. Nice project, holds it's edge well and is in frequent.

Attachments

• 20211022_120347.jpg
    20211022_120347.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211022_120400.jpg
    20211022_120400.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 13
Just brought my son a basic victorinox knives for his birthday very sharp but lacking soul.
Nowt wrong with Victorinox.
Victorinox knives are the standard knife used in about every butchers shop throughout the land. They take and hold an edge good enough for professional butchers, and the fibrox handle is such because they can be washed in a dishwasher to sterilize them.
I have 2 knives I use near daily. An old Smithfield rosewood handled cooks knife measuring about 9" and a 6" Victorinox boning knife and a 12" and 10" Victorinox butchers steak knives.
My background is the meat trade as a time served butcher, so I know knives as that's my stock in trade so to speak.
They might be souless but never pretentious. They are strong and perform well.

Latest posts

Back