Kitchen fitters - any experience with PP worktop edging?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Setch

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some PP edging to attach to the ends of a postformed HPL worktop. This is 2mm thick plastic, presumably polypropylene often used on square edge worktops, not the more common hpl edging. Any experience gluing this? I've glued laminate edging before worth contact cement, but I'm struggling to find any info on what materials or techniques work best with PP edging.

Thanks in advance!

What tops are they ? If it's the howdens thick edging you can just use contact adhesive. If it's the fancy two tone edging then you have to use solvent free which is rubbish or use double sided tape.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

The tops are Bushboard Omega (M003/Maryland Fonce) with 3mm radius postformed edges. I'm using the PP only on the ends, as it provides a much closer match to the 3mm radius than the normal laminate sheet ends.

Sounds like that stuff will be fine with normal evostik contact glue. If you've got spare then just try on an offcut. As I say I'm sure it's just the two tone polycarb edging you have to use solvent free on. It's painted on the rear so the solvent glue would damage the paint.

I've stuck miles of the normal 3mm edging with solvent based evo ,with no problems.

Double sided tape is quick and clean but I don't trust it for longevity.

I don't know if you have a laminate trimmer but once trimmed roughly I find a sharp Stanley blade is best to finish it. Use a scraping motion holding it with both hands . You can use this to round it too. If you're feeling flash Festool sell a nice scraper that has different radii on it but it's about £50

Cheers chippy. I've heard mixed opinions about evostick, so I've ordered some hot melt tape to try. I'll report back my results.

Setch":2ytpyyhh said:
Cheers chippy. I've heard mixed opinions about evostick, so I've ordered some hot melt tape to try. I'll report back my results.
Solvent based Evostik is 100℅ guaranteed to work but it can be a bit messy.

I've not used the iron on tape you might struggle using that on thick edging I don't know I've never used it.

Latest posts

Back