Kitchen cabinet standards?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Farmer Giles,

My two penneth... I built full birch ply cabinets last year on standard dimensions and purchased all of my hardware from Hafele. I am very happy with it all but there is something to be aware of, especially if you like a really good quality 'thing' - I purchased my drawer runners from Hafele and they are the 'Grass' branded ones- as mentioned by others they are excellent.

I also purchased a Hafele larder unit - this was manufactured by 'Vauth Sagel'. This and a hidden bin i bought are superb quality. The however bit is this - I sent a neighbour to Hafele for a similar sized larder unit and they purchased a 'cheaper' version. You pay for what you get and it was absolute rubbish compared to the one i got.

So not all Hafele stuff is equal, and much of their stuff is re branded. They don't really advertise the original manufacturer but you can find out normally by downloading the drawings/instructions for components.

BTW your idea of building box section frame for the cabinets is right up my street =D>

Cheers

dzj":qu45xqld said:
If you don't do this kind of work often, then buy the hardware first,
also the appliances, before making any cutlist for the ply.
Regarding standards and dimensions for interiors in general,
Panero & Zelnik's book is a good place to start (Human Dimension & Interior Space).

Thanks Dzj, that book looks interesting :)

I shall be buying at least a sample of all the hardware first. So far I only have one built in appliance as the missus wants the fridge and freezer in the utility room. As the dishwasher is quite new I'm hoping to reuse it so will have that to study. However after reading the book, who knows where the appliances will end up :)

Cheers
Andy

munkypuzel":2f9kz6dc said:
Hi Farmer Giles,

My two penneth... I built full birch ply cabinets last year on standard dimensions and purchased all of my hardware from Hafele. I am very happy with it all but there is something to be aware of, especially if you like a really good quality 'thing' - I purchased my drawer runners from Hafele and they are the 'Grass' branded ones- as mentioned by others they are excellent.

I also purchased a Hafele larder unit - this was manufactured by 'Vauth Sagel'. This and a hidden bin i bought are superb quality. The however bit is this - I sent a neighbour to Hafele for a similar sized larder unit and they purchased a 'cheaper' version. You pay for what you get and it was absolute rubbish compared to the one i got.

So not all Hafele stuff is equal, and much of their stuff is re branded. They don't really advertise the original manufacturer but you can find out normally by downloading the drawings/instructions for components.

BTW your idea of building box section frame for the cabinets is right up my street =D>

Cheers

Thanks MP, I didn't know that Hafele bought stuff in, very good to know, I shall bear that in mind when getting stuff, I think they have a showroom near me somewhere so may go and have a butchers :)

Cheers
Andy

dickm":7ll1cefy said:
Quite by chance started using Hettich fittings for our kitchen and they seem excellent. Not cheap, but good quality.

Thanks Dick

I hadn't heard of Hettich until you mentioned them, their hidden drawer runners sounds look good, will go well with wooden drawers and a few dovetails :) Worthy of a much closer look.

Cheers
Andy

The feet for the steel frame base have arrived, and I've ordered some lower cost blum drawer bottom runners for inside cabinets and some more expensive Hettich drawer bottom runners for drawers that need a bit of adjustment to get the fit right. Both 450mm deep.

The plan is to make a 600 wide cabinet for the utility room using these as a prototype for the main kitchen. Now looking for face frame hinges, I have some I used on some cabinets in the workshop, not sure if they are sufficient quality for the kitchen, if I can find them :)

Regards
Andy

It took a while but I found some inset face frame Hettich hinges to try.

I also just realised that full extension bottom mounted hinges may have trouble working with an inset face frame drawer - doh! I'm sure I need a drawer in the workshop :)

Hi Fg,

Could you post a link to the inset face frame hinges ? I've been looking for some for a while

Thanks

Paul

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

LarryS":2xzcc9vg said:
Hi Fg,

Could you post a link to the inset face frame hinges ? I've been looking for some for a while
Thanks
Paul

Will do once they are delivered and I can confirm they are what I think they are :)

Farmer Giles":10tn3y2z said:
LarryS":10tn3y2z said:
Hi Fg,

Thanks
Paul

Will do once they are delivered and I can confirm they are what I think they are :)
That's the reason I haven't bought any yet, could never quite be sure I was ordering the right thing !

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back