***Kickback*** + new project with loads of pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramers

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all, before i begin; anything i say can, and will not be used against me, and anything you do say, can and will be used against you :D

derh derh derh, dur dur DUR ***DUM***

my first kickback experiance.

must admit was'nt as spectacular as one imagioned but could be for the best.

this is how it plays out, as you will see in a minute i am making a table, i am just cutting a peice of ply for the bottom, it is my first cutt with this peice, then i just get to the end and

kickback.jpg

the ply was taken from my grasp and just pivoted aroung my left hand, the only result from this is the wood luckly not me, (a little friction burn on my hand but thats it).

i think the reason for the kickback was that i did not saw this peice and after inspection it was out of square so it caused the blade and fence to bind up.

any way enough of that now for the good stuff.

my new project; i call it a hall telephone table but if you want to buy it call it what you want.

it is made from solid mahogany 50 years old, the whole tree was air dried in a timber yard for 10 years then sat in friends garage for 40-50 years.

it is the real Mcoy, so hard on the tools, you have to sharpen so often.

the top is a few boards glewed up, i had to chop the big bits up so i could get them to the right thinkness bit of a sham but i matched the grain up.

heres the pics; will try to talk you through

the stock
bnmbvm.jpg

legs cut to size
fgh.jpg

taper cut on legs
ertertery.jpg

two pases with a sharp plane and that cleans them up
mnm.jpg

a few steps skipped (sorry) the draw runners and guides in place
drawruns.jpg

the draw with the dovetails cut
drawdis.jpg

the draw assembled with the bottom in and glued up ** this has to be bis so all can see the dovetails**
drawasem.jpg

the table completed with the back upstand screwed on.
tablecomp.jpg

there you go will update when i have done the finish.

hope you like (i think this could be my best yet)

Very nice table :D ,and a lucky escape with the plywood :shock:

Glad you weren't seriously injured - I'm sure you don't need the lecture on riving knife,blade guard etc.

What finish are you going for on the table ?

Andrew

sikkens bl decor mahogany, then sikkens bl unitop satin clear, using purdys.

anyone know if you can wipe of the extra with the sikkens so blend the wood/ i think you can.

with the brushes and grap cloths and the stain and top coat that comes to a nice little £45

any one want to earn a couple of quid by turning me a couple of mahogany knobs 18x18 squre for on the draw cant find them abnywhere?

please

Your welcome to use my lathe and turn them yourself , you can pick up that vice i offered you ages ago while your at it :lol: Im in the workshop tomorrow if your around .

If not I will do them for you, if you give me some idea of what you want but give them a go if you go JFC's workshop :)

thought it was time for an update. these pictures are when the table has 2 coats of the stain and then 1 coat of the satin unitop. the sikkens is great stuff and i would recomend it, especilay used with purdys like i did.

DSCF0061.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

the next pic will be when it is all finished including the knobs.

Back