Kaspersky Internet security and rebuilds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WellsWood

Established Member
Reaction score
Any cleverclogs out there familiar with Kaspersky? Would welcome some informed advice.

I have 3 machines all running KIS 2009 under a 3 user licence and am about to upgrade the hardware and do a ground up re-install of Windows XP pro on 2 of them. I've searched the FAQs and got the instructions for reinstalling KIS using existing licences and it all looks pretty straightforward. BUT, I can't find any reference to hardware upgrades at the same time and am unsure of how to proceed (I like to have stuff like this worked out in advance).
I can't quite believe the process will be the same, as the machines in question will be to all intents brand new, and if it were that simple there'd be nothing to stop me using the process to extend my licence numbers to more than the 3 machines.... or have I missed something?

I don't want to rip these machines down till I know they can be protected after their rebuilds, and since my current licence is virtually new I'd rather not have to purchace the product again.

Any suggestions?

It seems to install Ok clean however many times you do it so yes, you could break the licence count. It's when you mess up and have to reinstall it gets a bit quirky and refuses.
When you activate it on fresh install you only get the same licence remaining as you had before. You can change to the latest version (2010) using the old licence number for no cost and it is worth it as the new version is far less intrusive.

edit.
I got my licence free from barclays online banking. If I had purchased it then kaspersky support would have reset it when I had reinstall problems. Guess I could have persevered and got it sorted by involving barclays but it wasn't worth the effort :) Anyway they ( KIS )will help you if you have problems.

If you wanted it all clear before you start (and I'd understand that - it's enough of a pain without something refusing to work because it thinks you're at a new computer - which as you say, you are) you'd probably be best to just contact Kaspersky.

That or go for some free solutions instead... but that might not be your cuppa.
(Avira AntiVir and Zone Alarm here.)

Back