Kapex vs Bosch Axi Glide Model

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my CSMS as it's cut isn't great (lots of tear out), its dust collection is very poor, the lazer has stopped working, which ok, doesn't stop me using it but it's much slower to work with now and also the saw itself it takes up a lot of space.

I have a work top that is around 800mm deep so I am looking at the Kapex 120 and the Bosch GCM 12 GDL 305mm Axial-Glide Mitre Saw. The main reason for looking at these two is their capacity and the fact that they both use a different system to the normal two sliding rails which means that they take up less space.

I've had a brief look at both and my thoughts are:

Kapex - should give brilliant clean cuts, great dust extraction, very accurate. Not sure about the upright handle, not sure how stable it is for trenching cuts.

Bosch - Axi arm is really smooth should be great for trenching cuts, Handle is on the horizontal. I like the fact that all the controls are at the front. Not sure how good the dust collection is.

I also wondered about the Kapex 88 and if it is possible to retrofit a laser? I assume its not but just a thought.

Has anyone got any thoughts on the Bosch or Kapex and especially if anyone has tried both! Thanks in advance.

DiscoStu":29354ok2 said:
Kapex - should give brilliant clean cuts.....

Yes.

Kapex .....great dust extraction.....

Yes.

Kapex .....very accurate.....

Yes.

Kapex .....not sure how stable it is for trenching cuts.....

This is my one disappointment with the Kapex. I do use it for trenching, but only where I do not have to be super accurate. :(

I too am looking for a new mitre saw and am looking at the same two with the Hitachi C12RSH thrown in the mix as well, it gets a decent write up and the price is much more favourable.

Nigel

I have the Bosch but not tried the Kapex.

Dust extraction, I'd say, is good but not perfect - any system that relies on the blade throwing up the sawdust into a cowl to be vacuumed away cannot be foolproof :)

Trenching cuts: not used for that purpose but just tried a dry run and observe that there's some flex, probably 0.5 to 1.0mm depending on how far out the blade is slid. The main factor is how heavy handed you are with lowering the D handle - press down firmly and you get more flex; be consistent with the pressure and deflection is modest.

Other: very powerful, quiet, excellent clean cuts with standard blade. 90 degree angle, bevel angles, laser etc all easy to adjust/set-up. It's heavy (I'm a 54 year old pen-pusher by lack of profession and just managed to lift it onto it's stand) - so bear that in mind if it's not going to reside in a fixed position. I bought it with the legstand/trolley (GTA2500) which is a very useful addition (extendible support for long pieces both sides, length stops, easy to wheel saw around the house/garden etc).

I appreciate you live on the coast but if you want to try it out send me a PM (I'm just off the A3 in KT4 - half hour past Guildford).

I know you've said you'd prefer the non sliding rail style but if I were you then I'd reconsider and go for the dewalt 305mm xps saw.

Having both a 110v dewalt and kapex I can honestly say the Kapex wins hands down.

I will say most of this is down to dust collection over pure accuracy. I hated using the dewalt in any clean environment because given 8hrs use that environment would not be clean! The festool blades are good though despite what I've read elsewhere and a million miles away from dewaly, bosh etc. etc.

I do think you will struggle to get super accurate trenching cuts with any scms simply because the head will always have a tiny bit of movement in it no matter what you do.

Just do it and worry about how much you spent after :D

I have the Kapex and would say that trenching is just fine with a little practice. The dust extraction is excellent and cut quality brill. You'll soon get used to the upright handle. If these are your two options, go with the Kapex.

I have the kapex for a few weeks now

it is fantastic

i looked at the bosch and depth of cut is greater
the bosch was a heavy beast and i am getting old
i do not have a workshop 3.6m wide so am constant move saw to get a cut

Steve

I was able to see and work with all three

Bosch
Festool
Hitachi

And i went for the Hitachi - its only half the price, but twice as solid at the other 2, not to bothered about the extraction, more how accurate it is, even after moving it frequently

I have it mounted on the Bosch gravity stand - perfect combination

i thought i would hate it

but seems natural after a few uses
couple of things i noticed that niggle

need to let saw stop before raising blade to avoid "kick"

the clamp is no good for small cuts

Steve

Hmm if slightly concerned by having to let the blade stop. Ok for furniture making but if I am cutting studs I can't be doing with waiting for that to stop.

DiscoStu":5jcmfx73 said:
Hmm if slightly concerned by having to let the blade stop. Ok for furniture making but if I am cutting studs I can't be doing with waiting for that to stop.

i would ask more on this if it worries u

my last mitre saw was an elektra beckum i had for over 15 years

it never kicked once

i still have no regrets on the kapex...but it does "kick"
it is a mere few seconds between go and stop so no big deal

as a safety thing I have to admit it stops u doing silly stuff and makes u aware that they are not toys..so is a plus in my book

just gives u the ....i must be careful feeling...not a bad thing in my book

Steve

Ooo...didn't realise Hitachi had a saw like the Kapex and Bosch axi glide, as we have been thinking of upgrading our faithful Hitachi for the bench depth, footprint reasons as mentioned. It's a vertical grip Hitachi which I have to say has been a cracking saw for 10 years, both in foul weather on-site or performing accurate work in the shop... which is why the upgrade hasn't been a priority... and the Bosch & Festool price tags :D

Having tried both grip types I personally find the vertical style more natural.

Cheers Jim

Make a zero clearance insert and the Kapex won't kick and the vertical handle is fine - I really can't see why it is any more awkward than a horizontal one? The Dewalt gives me wrist ache if I'm chopping firewood for ages (which is it's main job now). Don't get me wrong I'm not a Festool fanatic but I have a fair bit of equipment and everything I have is just that bit better than others that I've tried. You pays your money etc. etc.

I just purchased a new saw and i was torn between the Bosch 12 gdl and the Kapex 120 so off i went to Axminster in nuneaton and had a good play with the Kapex and cut a couple of 3 x 2's etc in there demo area and then played with the Bosch was very impressed by the quality and smoothness of the Axial Glide Arm.
I then stood back had a good think about both saws and then checked the Kapex again but 20 minutes later i ended up with the Bosch 12GDL and i am very pleased i bought it all i can say is that it is a "Awsome Saw".
The Festool Kapex is a good saw but a couple of the big mind changers for me was the depth of cut and the handle postion I did not get on with that vertical handle at all.

Back