Just a bad day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BODGER

Reaction score
Hallo every on this fantastic woodwork site.
I have had a bad day at the lathe.
I am turning a small Ash bowl, right from the start I did not like Ash, dig ins, the wood was hard but I kept going at it.
I started sanding but the wood did not go smooth, I can not get the depth in side with out more dig ins and then it slipped off the lathe.
I have given up with that one and went on to Pens.
I am giving the plastic ones a go as they look colorful.
Cut to size, put them on the mortiser drill attachment, broke the end on the second one.
Start a new one, same thing happened.
Now is it the mortiser drilling machine?
I have a pillar drilling machine but what speed to drill?
I will stop for a day and try again soon.
Bye Roger

hi bodger and welcome! i take it you r quite new to turning, if so, one of the golden rules of turning is to keep your tools SHARP ! and if that means a quick run across the grinder every 5 mins then so b it! always take small gentle cuts on inside of bowls, if using a scraper, or any tool for that matter, keep your tool rest as close to your piece of work as poss, but without touching it, turn by hand first at least one full revolution, and try not to get despodant we all have off days, there will always b someone to give any advice/help that you need. good luck and let us know how things go for you!!
atb dave

Hello Roger,and welcome to the forum :D

If you want some advice on pen turning,have a read of this page on Ray Girlings website,I think it's an excellent article.
As for bowls,I like ash and find it nice to work with,and it finishes well.Dig-ins are more likely to be caused by the way you are holding the chisel and presenting it to the work,and such things as how far the toolrest is away from the workpiece.
Keep trying,good luck,and ask as many questions as you like.

Andrew

when drilling plastic for pens I always cut the plastic over length. Then drill the plastic carefully removing the drill frequently to remove swarf and allow it to cool. I drill to about 5mm from full length so the tip of the drill does not break out of the bottom but has gone deep enough to accommodate the full length of the brass tube. I then cut the blanks to length ensuring I cut off the end that has not been drill through

Hope that helps FWIW I have found this the only way I dont break the ends off on certain types of acrylic and crushed velvet pen blanks.

Make sure you have a zero, or negative rake angle on the drill when drilling plastic. Positive rake as found on morse twist bits as supplied are bad news.

You can change the rake angle by stoning the cutting edge. It does not have to be much, just enough to break the corner.

Back