Junior Whitehead Planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantbeat

Established Member
Reaction score
Chaps, having picked up the little Dodd planer restoration project for at home, i have also decided to look for a bigger (not big) planer for at work, have found a Junior Whitehead machine that would be another restoration job.

BUT, its currently missing its blade guard & its cast fence.

the guard I'm confident i could fabricate something suitable, but I'm pondering what to do about making the fence, currently all there is on the machine is the cross bar that the fence would attach to.

any ideas or suggestions as to what to use for a fence, Im sure i could come up with something but is there any good sources for used machinery parts? I'm not bothered about it being original i would have just preferred something cast & in keeping with the machine.

RobinBHM":7gons67u said:
You could try ringing Scott and Sargeant and asking if they have anything in there scrap pile, or other similar machinery dealers closer to you -JJ Smith for eg.

Its a long shot, but may be worth a call or 2.

Or this guy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/thicknesser-S ... Sw3xJXnjKX

good call, i didn't think off that, I'm ordering a saw from S&S so will ask them first.

It isn't impossible to make a wooden pattern for the fence and send it off to a foundry for casting..... or to fabricake a substitute from mild steel prodfiles.

heimlaga":xvjnow77 said:
It isn't impossible to make a wooden pattern for the fence and send it off to a foundry for casting..... or to fabricake a substitute from mild steel prodfiles.

yes, i could fabricate something that would work but i would rather have a professionally engineered part rather than sometime i have put together, to pay for one off castings & parts machining for the tilt mech etc would cost way more than a complete used machine so I'm still debating wether i should buy, all current enquiries for something i could buy & make fit have drawn a blank.

i could of course still buy it and just sit on it until a solution presents itself. (hammer) :D

Depending on what system is already in place you could make a fence from an aluminum extrusion like felder etc

Adidat

adidat":sboonfpb said:
Depending on what system is already in place you could make a fence from an aluminum extrusion like felder etc

Adidat

that had crossed my mind as i was thinking like a table saw fence, i will look at their mechanisms now. thanks.

Latest posts

Back