joseph peace & co saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toast

Established Member
Reaction score
hello everyone
im just trying to get a few hand tools tools up together and found a old joseph peace & co 12" 12tpi saw in a local antiques shop today, he said its from 1908.
its not in bad nick although it needs sharpening, its got a small brass badge on it that says warranted superior and it has joseph peace & ?co??? warranted sheffield cast steel pressed into the spline.
can anyone tell me if its worth having it re-set and sharpened? its seems ok, im just waiting to hear back on a price for re-set and sharpening.
cheers

Hi toast, and welcome to the forum!

A brass-backed saw with a 'warranted superior' medallion and 'cast steel' stamped into the spine is a top-quality saw. I've not heard of the firm Joseph Peace, though there was a firm W K & C Peace, and there were a great many small manufacturers, some of them one man bands, operating in Sheffield during the 19th and early 20th centuries. I'm not sure how the antique shop proprietor can date it so precisely, but if it has split sawscrew nuts it's almost certainly pre-1920.

Is it worth sharpening? Yes! Most definitely - provided the blade is straight. You may even care to learn how to restore the edge yourself; there's quite a bit of information on how to do so, and it's not as hard as you might think. Here's an excellent Youtube video - http://youtu.be/u-_MF2Mnxwc - that shows you how (warning - it's 2 hours long, but it's a very clear and thorough introduction to the task).

cheers for the welcome and info Cheshirechappie :D
the spine`s not brass, its all steel, but its straight, he said it was on the saw but i think that might of been based on the other one he had there that he got at the same time.
the other one was a full size saw, i might go back and grab it if you think its worth it if its straight?
i only paid a tenner for this one so figured if its 15 ish to get it sorted il have a decent saw for dovetails for a decent price.
i imagine the other one will be about 15-20 so might even be worth getting to put on ebay if nothing else, although i do need a normal saw, i was just going to grab a new cheap hardpoint saw

The steel spine is not a problem at all - it'll work just as well as a brass backed one. The only real difference is one of appearance, really. If the saw had a mate of similar quality and it's still available, why not?

For dovetail work, most people prefer a smaller saw; say 8" to 10" long and about 15tpi rip filed. The 12" 12tpi would be ideal filed crosscut for across-the-grain trimming-to-length jobs and trimming tenon shoulders. A larger saw, say 14" 11tpi rip for tenon cheeks would complete the set - for furniture scale work anyway. Joiners sometimes prefer larger saws.

No harm in getting a hardpoint, as well. It would do nicely for those jobs (such as on particle boards, and household DIY chores) when you'd prefer not the risk harm to the nicer saws.

thats cool im not too bothered how it looks as long it works well, il have to go and have a look at the other one and see what its like and find out the price although i could most likely get a suitable new one for the same price once id of had it sharpened, but i will be learning to sharpen them myself once they are re-set.
so youd suggest 15tpi rip filed, as il be getting it redone so shouldnt be a problem changing the tooth setting.
il most likely be having it re-set by hamiltonbeverstock as long as its not too pricey as they are local`ish.
i will probably just use a router for tenons, a skilsaw for boards and i have a mitre saw for crosscutting.

cheers Tom , i did find that page but that was the only mention of the maker i could find.
this one doesnt have the plates on the handle, im not sure if the other one that was there did either as i didnt take much notice as i wasnt really after a full size saw.

the trouble with antiques shops is that they think everything is worth a fortune. A steel spined back saw is probably about a fiver on ebay, plus a bit of postage. by the time you have had it sharpened, you are fast approaching https://www.toolandfix.com/spear-and-ja ... tAodDSYAmw. these were discussed on the forum a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps not like for like, but you wanted a user.

then again, if you want a tool with a bit of history, the price of ownership isnt massive!

hello marcros, tell me about it lol he had a old wooden plane in there and wanted 50 for it & 15 for a wooden rebate plane.
i was going to grab one of the older secondhand s&j ones on ebay but i figured this one would cost about the same with postage and it would be sharpened to a higher standard at hamilton beverstock than a off the shelf one.
but that one you linked is very nice

Back