Joint-Genie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhughz

Reaction score
I'm going to make another storage unit for my van soon. Last time i used the Kreg jig and pocket holes. I found it great for the carcass, however i made the drawers from 12mm MDF and struggled with the pocket holes and screws. What i want to know is will the joint-genie work with 12mm MDF and is it easy enough for a novice to use?

Nathan.

Hi Nathan
I saw the joint Genie on a you tube clip at the weekend and was suitably impressed to order one from there web site on Monday. It arrive next day and so far I have made 3 MDF boxes for transporting tools in the back of the van using it. Its very well made and very easy to use.

As to you making drawers from 12mm MDF with it I don't known as the smallest dowels the Genie works with is 6mm and the smallest dowels I have been able to get are 6mm x 30mm long . The boxes I made are from 18mm MDF and therefore the 30mm long dowels project 15mm into each piece.
I am sure someone else can suggest a better method of drawer making with 12mm MDF.

regards

john

Hi Nathan,

I actually bought the 6mm jobber last year when they had it on offer for £19.95, actually not sure, I think the offer might still be on, however I class myself as the "average DIY 'er and think its a great little tool, very accurate.

I tried it with some scrap offcuts to start off with but really didn't need to as it is dead simple to use and you can't really go wrong.

If I thought I would use one that often I would upgrade it to a 8mm or 10 mm one.

I would definatley recommend it.

I looked at this tool about a year ago, but, to be honest, I thought for what it was (then 39.99) too expensive. For what I needed I'd need the version that was up near 80-90... So, in the end I spent a shed load more and bought a FESTOOL Domino 'mortice&tenon' router... Never looked back... But, I'd guess if your not doing much and you can get it for £19.99... Then, should be fine...

They will work if you are careful. The ones inserted in the edge will have only 3mm of MDF each side, so make sure they are fluted dowels (I'd cut an extra slot in them as well) so that excess glue can escape, otherwise the MDF might break out as you knock them in. In the side the dowels won't be very long, so really you should look upon them as an aid to alignment rather than adding much strength to the joint. If you want them to add strength to the joint use as many as possible.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Latest posts

Back