joining wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxelcat

Reaction score
Hi

I want to make a "box" approx 1m long and 30cm high out of 1cm thick wood.

I am not up to making fancy joints, and I was hoping to use "Scan fittings" or "cam locks". (I think this is what they are called - as in IKEA flat pack! - I have pictures of these at http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/kn ... joints.htm

I can't find anywhere to buy these however. I have googled "Scan fittings" and "Cam locks" to no avail. Perhaps I have the names wrong??? I have tried those little triangle right angle things, but they are ugly and mean that I can't fit everything that I want into the box.

Can anybody please suggest where I can buy these things, or perhaps, how else I could make these joins - my woodwork skills are limited!!!

Thanks in advance

Edward

The problem with cam & dowel and the "scan"(cross dowel) fixings is that you need a hole deeper/bigger than the thickness of your wood. It basically the same with all the KD (Knock-Down) fittings as they are designed for 15-18mm board.

The easiest hidden fixing with the least outlay would be dowels but keep them small 5-6mm, you will need a dowel jigand a drill.

Jason

If you are not bothered about the looks of the outside of the box just modify the method of using wooden corner blocks shown on the link you pasted.

Use (say 20mm square) corner blocks and screw into these from the outside of the box.

Go to your local Ikea, they usually have a bargain croner, in there they usually have bucket fulls of fittings. My local one is £1 for a mixed bag full, go along and help yourself!

Back