John Makepeace exhibition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far as I'm aware, we are all meeting at Wellbeck at around 11 and then on to Pete's gaff ?

I've lost track of who's going but I think its 7 at the gallery

Hi Guys i've recently had 2 weeks of work with a viral infection so have been up against it trying to catch up. Unfortunately i've got to work on saturday now but i hope you have a good time and I will hopefully catch the exhibition before it moves on.

cheers

jon

Hi, Chaps

Yep 11:00 at Wellbeck and then back to my place for food etc.

Pete

Would anyone like a bag of apples tomorrow? They are good cookers, but just about sweet enough to eat if you like them sharp. Excellent flavour. They are windfalls, so need dealing with pretty sharpish.

My freezer is already full!

S

I went to see this today. I was impressed with the items on display though ironically the very expensive zebra thing left me a bit unbothered.
I really enjoyed watching the video they had on loop and I found it quite inspirational.
I really struggle to pass any useful comment as I lack the skills to judge really. I was really most impressed with the mitre chair. It just very simple and very complex at the same time. Fantastic.
Interested to see anybodies else's opinion.
Owen
Ps the scones with Clotted cream are very good at the cafe next door.

Ooh loverly!
We had a great time deconstructing the mitre chair, trying to work out how he could make a mitre 250mm long without it opening up even just a tinsy winsy bit.

And Pete's bean slop was delicious. Nice one, Pete.

Who's next?
S

Hi,

That Miter chair was very impressive, but it did at first look to be made from plastic :shock: it was only when you looked closely you could see it was wood. maybe a different wood or finish it would be better.

The Zebra was the same, it looked painted but was holly and oak.

The other chairs and furniture where very nice some fantastic design and construction.

We got told off twice about takng photos here are some of the ones I didn't take :wink:

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

The "Bean Slop" is known in our house as chorizo con frijoles (sausage and beans) :wink: :lol:

Pete

This exhibition is essential viewing for anyone interested in late 20C contemporary design and construction. The design has not, in most cases, dated but some of the pieces are, unsurprisingly, starting to show their 40 year age with yellowing finishes and loss of the that crisp sharpness which is still visible in the catalogue.

Some of the construction is simply breathtaking and if 5 forum members cannot see how it went together 40 years on then that is a statement in itself.

It is not all immediately stunning and some of the more avant garde and less woody pieces are an acquired taste.

The disappointingly short video is fascinating in that JM expresses his underlying philosophy and it is interesting indeed. He describes how he found the shallowness and emphasis purely on the visual of some American design "obscene". A view shared by many but perhaps not surprising of a nation intent on feeding it's profligacy at the expense of anyone with the resources and irrespective of justice. He is looking for ways of displaying the inherent beauty of the timber itself in appealing designs. He rightly comments that "form follows function" is not the only philosophy, nor is the desire to be original, but that the finished piece should be "appropriate". Very true, perceptive and rarely seen.

Some of the descriptive notes accompanying the pieces contained the usual hyperbolae about designing the piece to satisfy the excruciating needs of particular clients but the reality is that these pieces were largely commissioned by wealthy individuals who wished to acquire some fashionable kit. That does not diminish some stunning design and, apart from the masterpiece of the mitre chair, I would pick out the triangular table lacking any straight edge with some lovely lines and awesome construction.

Get there.

Agree with what the others say. Get to this exhibition if you can (its also travelling around). The place was worth a visit in its own right.

Some stuff was brilliant, others were made for the rich but gullible (I saw you coming) or speculator; the zebra cabinet was a pointless waste of decent wood as it looked like painted & lacquered MDF until you got within 6” of it.

The Chair, as Pete says, might as well have been plastic. The others got a bit over excited about the joints – dominoed innit :lol: . Whatever is was, it was quite obvious it wasn’t for sitting on!

Loved the two chests upstairs.

I liked the laminated Chairs – anyone got a bit of birch/bog oak 10 ply (I assume Jewsons sell this :duno: ) lying around, as I fancy knocking one out.
Pete got told off for taking photos (I asked when I got there & the woman said it was OK if I did not use flash). I got told off for talking too loud. Later they were tut tutting about us ignoring the do not touch signs. The UKworkshop (Nottingham chapter) cause mayhem wherever they go! :twisted:

Thanks for lunch Pete and for fixing my AVO. Started a bandsaw jig yesterday Steve.

Back