Jigsaw for rough cutting blanks for template routing in 1" oak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont have a bandsaw, so am looking for a simple way to cut blanks for template routing.

Is a hand held jigsaw a sensible option?

If so, any recommendations on blades and the tool itself?

Thank you.

I was in this situation a few years ago. I discovered that it was easier to get round curves using a coarser blade than the fine one I started out with as the wider kerf creates space for the blade to turn in the cut. To some extent it depends on the thickness of your material. In my case, inch and a half thick ash was very much the limit but still doable if taken very gently.

My jigsaw, as in the actual machine, was purchased over 20 years ago, and i think it might even be argos own brand!

Its always been a hateful thing. I dont hugely want to spend a load of money on a new unit, but i think i should probably spend something.

Any ideas?

Im hoping to end up at the under £50 sort of level, but if im getting closer to £100, then i suspect ill end up with a milwaukee m18, as i have that system, but i dont really want to be spending that much on a tool that ive pretty done without for the past two decades.

If you're finishing off with the router anyway, I'd be inclined to put a new blade in the jigsaw you have, maybe treat yourself to a fresh router cutter and call it done.

If you're finishing off with the router anyway, I'd be inclined to put a new blade in the jigsaw you have, maybe treat yourself to a fresh router cutter and call it done.

My memory of the thing was that it lept about all over the place, and the blade regularly fell out for reasons that i never concluded, but ill give it a go.

The shapes that i need to cut are all curves.

You could hire a good quality one for the job?

Thank you, but its ongoing. And i live far enough from any of those sorts of places so as mail ordering a tool new vs 2hrs of messing about to collect and return the hired tool, for a cheapish tool...

Ill get a bandsaw at some point i guess.

I have a jigsaw somewhere but can't even remember when I used it last. Maybe not this century. I do remember that mine jumped around a lot but was far better with new/decent blades.
This came up in my youtube feed a couple of days ago:
There are some good ideas there which may help for little or no money.

My memory of the thing was that it lept about all over the place, and the blade regularly fell out for reasons that i never concluded, but ill give it a go.

The shapes that i need to cut are all curves.
Because it was a crepe saw. Bite the bullet, pay the money for a decent one (you're not going to get one new south of £100) - you'll find you'll use it far more than you think.

I assume the jumping about bit could be due to operator error (pushing too hard) but thats also where the pendulum stuff comes in, right?

As in tilts the blade away from the job on the downward stroke, and brings it in on the upward, so should only generate friction on the upward (thus pulling the tool toward the work all the time)

Is this a "game changer"?

Again, if im on the spend, i guess id end up with one of these -

https://uk.milwaukeetool.eu/en-gb/m18-fuel-top-handle-jigsaw/m18-fjs/
Im on the m18 system, as the impact driver is about the best option, and that was my primary interest when starting, but it seems that most of their tools, whilst maybe not being the best in every class, are certainly reasonable - and once you're locked into the battery system, unless something else offers way more, its easier just to go with the same brand.

the pendulum action you describe significantly speeds up the cut, but not sure about the jumping around bit. i use upcut blades only, and a psc420 and it rarely gets jumpy unless i pinch the blade e.g. in a tight turn

Was it fitted with down cut blades? They can make a jigsaw dance nicely.

Who knows - whilst i wasnt clear on when i last used it, it was too long ago to remember!

I had to order from tool station tonight anyway, so put some of these in the basket -

https://www.toolstation.com/reisser-star-universal-jigsaw-blade/p11140
They seemed to be the only ones that toolstation sell that mentioned hardwood in the description. Screwfix do various bosch ones that talk of hardwood, but i was ordering from toolstation.

Im past delivery for tomorrow, so, assuming i still have fingers left thereafter, ill let you know how hateful the whole experience either is, or is not!

Thanks to all for the assistance so far!

11140.jpg

Back