Jewllery box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprasport

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted this in general as well in a hello post so thought i would put it in here as work in progress.
All of this is new to me so i am trying out all types of materials and techniques as practice really so get ready for some weird concoctions :shock:

it is american oak with Wenga lid/frame and veneered ply with walnut burr veneer
the corners are mitred and have a wenga dovetail spline the mitres on the lid will have a spline in oak as well. the diamonds in the lid (back and front are becaue the wenga was ony a 9" sample piece given to me by lavers and wouldnt stretch the distance :roll: that was the most awkward part of this so far. they were grooved 2/3rd deep and then i inserted some ply before routing part of it back out in the process of grooving for the ply/walnut bur lid. hope you like it so far
711.JPG

719.JPG

720.JPG

721.JPG

722.JPG

723.JPG

it will hinge on 2 pins through the side made from bamboo skewers. and the front diamond will be the handle, just going to attempt to drill a 2.5mm over an inch deep now 2mm from both edges. if i slip or drill at an angle you will hear my screams from here. thats why i am sat here with a coffe because i dont want to do it :(

Thats a lovely box. I like the small details like the diamond latch, the grain direction of the joints and combination of woods. Also I like the dovetails (hand cut?) and the slight rounding of the edge, it's a little Krenovian in style, lovely.

never heard of Krenovian but i will take it as a compliment :eek:
the dovetails werent hand cut unfortunately because my new triton turned up just before they needed doing and i just had to try it out on something :D

suprasport

Very well done as to get the joints you have with that wenge, does take some doing =D> =D>

Nice design too.

Ps For all that have not used it (wenge ), it is hard and brittle.

Supra - Krenov is an absolute master at delicate/detail stuff. I recently purchased a couple of his books (notebook and impractical cabinetmaker) I can recommend them to absolutely anyone with an interest in woodworking, it's really changed my outlook on the whole process, I think you would really enjoy his books.

just had a quick look at his site, very inspiring cheers paul, and i think i will have a look at one of his books byron, i've been toying with getting some litersture for a while but never knew what to get and you guys have answered all my questions so far anyway :lol:

Colin i couldnt agree with you more, i have only used 3 hardwoods upto yet but i couldn't beieve the wenge, it took chunks out of my plane blade, i had just invested in a veritas and was well gutted. definately tough and brittles stuff. but the grain is worth it. :)

well the lid went ok :D i decided to put some legs on it as well.

724.JPG

started laying out the inside tray, not finished or glued yet
725.JPG

I never know when to stop :lol: decided on a lid for the middle diamond, i just rebated a piece of oak but cut to much out so the lid was sloppy so i cut some very thin and narrow strips of wenge to line the lid and make it a nice snug fit, forgot the pic of that bit though :(
726.JPG

I was impressed to start with - and it gets better :D

Congratulations on an excellent project.

Andrew

Very good looking jewelry box - wenge is tricky stuff IMO, just mind the splinters :shock: that come of it at the blink of an eye - Rob

Back