Jet-Wetstone-Plane-Camber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simon
I believe David Charlesworth has used this jig on his Tormek - take a look on his site, I'm sure he mentioned it in his blog.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

I could not imagine using a jig like this to do such a simple, but delicate, task.

Using Shaptons 1000, 5000, 8000 (and sometimes beyond), the camber goes on with the 1000. Just a couple of strokes on each side of the blade. Be careful - it is so easy to over-camber a smoothing iron. And if you do so, you will not take full width shavings but instead turn your smoother into a mini jack plane.

Using the Jet jig seems to me to be overkill.

Regards from Perth

Derek

It does fit on a Tormek, as Philly said David Charlesworth has one (Jet jig with Tormek). I also have the plane camber jig and it works OK, but I think I agree with Derek about unnecessary complexity.

I have set up the camber of my blades on an 800 waterstone, using equal stokes on each side with a piece of thin plastic under each side in turn. This is the way I was taught on David's tool tuning course.

When grinding I do use that jig but don't grind to the end. I leave a little sliver of the honed bevel. So I am not actually shaping the sharp end with the jig.

Thanks for the replys chaps, it was the grinding of the primary bevel that i had in mind for the jig, then i would hone the secondary bevel on a stone.

Simon

Is it perhaps really designed for scrub planes and the like? Even so, I reckon it's OTT - it's easy to put a perfectly good camber on a scrub iron with a cheap dry grinder in a very short time and followed up by a little freehand honing, a good edge too.

A scrub plane is after all, designed to remove large quantities of wood quickly, no-one said anything about pretty shavings.

Sorry i forgot to mention , i already own a tormek so it would just mean purchasing the jig.

Simon

Agreed, overkill for a shaving-thick camber: I do find it helpful (but a luxury?)when you want to take off a mm or more from each side of the blade. I use it on the 10" Scheppach.
DC was right about the diamond crowning plate. Just got 600 grit one from sister in US. About 4-5 strokes on a newly wet (straight) ground blade produces the 2.5 thou camber ready for polishing at +2deg.

waterhead37":26o4orn5 said:
A scrub plane is after all, designed to remove large quantities of wood quickly, no-one said anything about pretty shavings.

scrub_chip.JPG

Yeah,. but they're easier to push, and the edge lasts longer, with a good edge on it.

BugBear

waterhead37":16ut2rq7 said:
waterhead37":16ut2rq7 said:
... and followed up by a little freehand honing, a good edge too...

Agreed :D However, on prettiness or otherwise, I was referring to the shape of the edge, not its sharpness.

Ah, I understand (and agree).

When honing my scrub, I do try and pay particular attention to the sides. Since most of the wear (blunting) takes place in the middle, it's tempting to sharpen that section more; but if one simply works the whole edge until the sought-for burr appears in each section, the camber will diminish over time.

BugBear

Back