Jet planer help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pryally

Established Member
Reaction score
need some advice before i either break it or me!

bought the baby planer/thicknesser from DB Keighley las week (well recommended) and brought it home on the trailer.

got it off the trailer into the garage but still on the pallet.

how do i get it off the pallet and onto the rolling stand?

i can only think is to hire a engine crane?

any help appreciated........

When we moved my Jet P/T onto the rolling stand we put 2 2x4's through the centre of the stand and used a scissor jack to slightly raise it so that the pallet could be slid out. Then the rolling base was slid under and the scissor jacks lowered to their lowest positions. Now comes the difficult part. We used a series of 'chocs' to lower each end by small amounts each side gradually using a bar to lever. Bit heath robinson, but it got the machine onto the base without us having to lift the machine at all. This saved 2 bad backs.

WiZeR":1v0s54dm said:
Now comes the difficult part. We used a series of 'chocs' to lower each end by small amounts each side gradually using a bar to lever. Bit heath robinson, but it got the machine onto the base without us having to lift the machine at all. This saved 2 bad backs.

Yes, I had to do that once with a <<very>> solid metalworking lathe. It works fine; the only warning I'd give is to be careful what you use as chocs (chocks?). It's tempting to use breeseblocks, or bricks, but either can shatter if they get a point load, or so I was warned.

We was using various thicknesses of mdf and ply

Wot he said, ( I know cos I was there :wink: ). But also the bit Wizer left out was to turn the machine 90 degrees on the pallet - BTW don't forget it's bolted to the pallet - so that the beams you slide under only have to overhang the short sides of the pallet. I've done 2 like this now, my 12" and Tom's 10", and it works a treat. Like the man says it's a bit HR, so think it through carefully before you begin and have all the blocks and shims etc. to hand at the outset, but unless you've got access to one of those wheeled engine hoists there's few alternatives. The one thing you must not do is lift it by the tables or you stand a goood chance of considerable work later realigning them.

Oh, and have a mate handy - it's not really a one man job.

Good luck.

dickm":2owq8bsn said:
WiZeR":2owq8bsn said:
Now comes the difficult part. We used a series of 'chocs' to lower each end by small amounts each side gradually using a bar to lever. Bit heath robinson, but it got the machine onto the base without us having to lift the machine at all. This saved 2 bad backs.

Yes, I had to do that once with a <<very>> solid metalworking lathe. It works fine; the only warning I'd give is to be careful what you use as chocs (chocks?). It's tempting to use breeseblocks, or bricks, but either can shatter if they get a point load, or so I was warned.

Another problem to be aware of, especially with lathes, is that they can be top heavy and tip over quite easily. So don't stand in 'the line of fire'.

I knew Mark could explain it better... He did most of the work :roll: :wink:

Just spent the afternoon using my old engine crane to move some BIG rocks in the garden. Reminded me how easy engine cranes make things seem. Maybe your original idea of hiring one would be best :?
(assuming you can't find one for a tenner, like mine :D )

Back