Japanese Knives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a L/R pair of Japanese knives which Dave Burnard made for me--he's a neighbor and a very nice guy.

The have been hardened but not tempered. Extrmely hard, and try as I might when I was marking out some Lyptus for lap joints last week, I couldn't make them chip.

The small one in the photo is from Woodcraft which I bought 5 or so years ago and helps to give a sense of scale. The DB ones are substantial. They are forged welded--a thin layer of harder steel forge welded to a softer steel.

Take care, Mike

db_0001.jpg

db_0002.jpg

just when i thought it was safe to come out of the beaver lodge
because the pizza eating bear was away, and out come the
superstar striking knives. :twisted:

not sure even your bear could bend those mike. :lol:

i modified a bootmakers' leather cutting knife which i find
valuable, now with learning about story sticks who knows to
what heights i can reach :?

now there are more slopes to slide down.
paul :wink:

Useful pair of knives, Mike! I bought a double edged one from Axminster. Very useful (and cheap for what you get!)
Very useful neighbour you have there :wink:
Philly :D

Hey Paul and Philly,

Bears and Beavers oh my!

Philly, Dave is one of the leading Japanese blacksmiths in the country. Even his sensei thought enough about him that he flew over from Japan to build Dave's forge.

The funny thing is we had communicated on SMC a few times before we realized we litterally lived right around the corner from each other.

Take care, Mike

Those look excellent. Like others, I bought the Axminster version and I quite like it. I think I'd prefer a heavier version that I have as I keep turning to my heavy brass&rosewood marking knife.

Very nice score Mike,
I'm green with envy, not just for the knives, but for living around the corner from Dave Burnard. Do you know what kind of steel he used?

Frank D.":xjj9plg0 said:
Very nice score Mike,
I'm green with envy, not just for the knives, but for living around the corner from Dave Burnard. Do you know what kind of steel he used?
Hi Frank--no. He told me, but it was past yesterday so I've already forgot :lol:

He mentioned he was also going to make me a spear point marking knife. What an honor. Dave's main shop and forge shop are really well done. Funny thing is that on evening walks I always was hoping to catch "that guy" outside so I could pester him <g>. I knew from another neighbor he was often out of the country, just didn't know it was often Japan!

Take care, Mike

Back