Quantcast

Japan!!???!?!?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
You need an upset in any sort of world championship and it's always nice to see underdogs doing well but against one of the four nations!!!!

I started the match sure Ireland would take them to the cleaners but hoped they would get a try or too. Now I'm hoping the Irish can sort themselves out in the rest of the competition (without beating England of course).

It looks like Japan has arrived as a rugby nation!

MikeG.

Damocles.
Reaction score
Japan beat South Africa last world cup (with Eddie Jones in charge). They can win a match now and then, but won't be anything more than a nuisance in the tournament. It does show that Ireland's ponderous, muscular, but predictable game is vulnerable to sides which play faster unpredictable rugby.

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not so sure. I thought there were indications of a distinctive style emerging: very quick passing and a rock solid pack, the latter being a bit of a surprise. And I don't know if the lineouts they won were down to Irish mistakes or their own cleverness.

It seems to me that they're definitely on the way up. The question is how far they can take it in this tournament (quarter finals) and if they can carry on into the future.

MikeG.

Damocles.
Reaction score
It's also fair to say that Ireland have been misfiring for a while now. They seemed to peak last year, I reckon. Also, the weather in Japan can't have helped them.

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I did wonder if the weather had played a role in terms of sapping away at fitness levels.

That said, on the basis of this morning's performance I wouldn't even like to make a guess at how Scotland will get on against them.

Phil Pascoe

occasional purveyor of blunt tools.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
23/10 Japan, 13/18 Scotland according to the bookies.
Out of six Times rugby writers four reckon S. Africa will take it, two N.Z. I spoke to my sister in N.Z. and asked what their press was saying and she forwarded me a link to a site the has done all the analysis of players, past games etc. and they have NZ as most likely to win....... but England, Ireland and Wales above S. Africa. :? :D

SammyQ

Established Member
Reaction score
I've not seen the match, nor heard the score, but the Irish side seem to have lost their way for sure, over the last 8-9 months. Strange.

Sam

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
Watching the game I thought they deserved the win.

The way they played in the second was a joy to watch, They wanted the win a lot more than Ireland did.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
SammyQ":3bs79gt6 said:
I've not seen the match, nor heard the score, but the Irish side seem to have lost their way for sure, over the last 8-9 months. Strange.

Sam
Don't want to spoil it for you,

(The result was …….. )

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Again!!!??!!??!!

In a perfect world England would beat Japan in the final.

I do hope that Japan beats S Africa in the quarters.