Jammed faceplate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edmundco

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Scheppach DMT450 lathe and when I try to remove the face plate it is jammed. I know this is a common problem and I have tried various tips but it still won't budge.
Next to the face plate there is a hole for a tommy bar so that you can stop the spindle turning with the face plate but I am having trouble holding this steady as the tommy bar hole is shallow and the tommy bar pops out very easily and there is a danger of the hole being damaged. Is there another way to lock the spindle so that I can then loosen the faceplate ? If not how do I get the face plate off?

If you can borrow one a suitable C-Spanner
KEN5805580K_0.jpg

Or an oil filter chain wrench.

ShowImage.ashx

Might provide a better clamping force.

I had a problem with a chuck jammed on a metal turning lathe I bought. In fact someone had been so rough that they had broken a number of teeth off some cog wheels. I tried all sorts but in the end the only way I shifted it was by unbolting the chuck from the backplate, then gently heating the backplate with a propane torch. It unscrewed with minimal hand pressure.

K

Thanks to everyone for the very prompt replies. The C spanner does look like a good option (thanks Chas) and the lathe does seem to be identical to the Axminster AWSL (thanks Mick). I'll have a look if Axminster can supply a suitable C spanner - I'll let you know how I get on.The link to the Axminster manual is also useful as the one that came with the lathe is not very helpful.

Which way were you turning it? It may have a left-hand thread.

Mod edit:- Not on a right hand front end spindle it won't, it would come off when turning otherwise.
Left hand threads are only used on the rear of a headstock spindle where large bowl turning is catered for in the design.

If the machine is the same pattern as the axminster lathe then it will have a standard (1” x 8 tpi) T04M Right Hand Thread.

Regardless of which pattern(size) thread it is though, having locked the spindle you need to turn the faceplate in an anti-clockwise direction, exactly the same as removing a standard nut from a bolt.

I.E. Pull the top of the faceplate towards you.

If you are really struggling i have an adjustable c spanner which you could borrow to solve the problem

Rog

To avoid this happening in the future Axminster sell a copper based grease just wipe a small amount on the spindle thread and you will never have this problem again

I've ordered a couple of strap wrenches from Axminster. Hopefully they'll help to sort the problem. I'm new to woodturning and I'm on a steep learning curve but enjoying it.

A bit of a change to being an accountant for nearly 40 years!

If you have a sacrificial piece of wood on the face plate, perhaps you could screw a long wooden handle to it and then use this as a lever to loosen it. If you don't have anything on the faceplate, perhaps you could pop a couple of screw or bolts through to lever off? I had to do this once after starting at it took a while to figure out.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Easy way to remove a locked faceplate is to fit two nuts & bolts one either side of the plate and tighten up. Place a decent strong length of hard wood between the bolts, set it so as the lever is just above horizontal, and give it a really hard sharp knock with a hammer. It will unscrew, just don't be afraid to hit it. If worried about the wood lever taking off you can secure it with some tape or string to the face plate. Just make sure the drive belt is tight to give plenty of drag to the spindle.

To prevent this ever happening in the future, cut a washer from a polythene milk bottle to fit over the spindle thread. Leave this permanently on and you will never have the thread binding again.

Good luck with it.

Back