Jack the Lad

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Finished another plane, this time the Jack. Spalted beech is the timber, a dainty rosewood knob for a touch of class (stop laughing at the back!) and a home made Iron. Couple of good coats of oil and a wax and voila!
I have copied my favourite wooden Jack plane with the exception of the tote pattern. I prefer a fuller grip - I'm sure the original owner of my Jack had dinky little hands :lol:
Construction method is a variation on the Krenov/Laminated style. I sawed and chopped the abutments and throat from the toe piece before glue up - made life a lot easier than chopping from the solid. Time will tell how it stands up but it feels real good.
DSCF6341.jpg

DSCF6334.jpg

DSCF6344.jpg

Cheers
Philly :D

I'm looking forward to seeing the WIPs for this one in print - it is going to be in print isn't it? I can't quite envisage how the chopping of mouth and abutments works - seems to me like you must end up with vanishingly thin sections in places, and as they say, a picture paints...

Wonderful job, Phil!

Looks like it will be a great working plane--and love the spalted Beech.

Take care, Mike
who is just going to have to subscribe to the mag you write for one of these days!

Thanks Mike - cross-posted..... :roll: :D
Al,
Single iron, taking on a C+W mindset............well, you gotta dream! :lol:
Cheers
Phil :D

Philly

More than nice, you sure had much fun making the jack =D> and one sees it, toolmaking gives this special satisfaction, more than a slope... :lol:

Nicely done, Phil! It looks like it is fun to use.
Is there a trick to letting in the handle or is it just a straight-sided mortise?
-Andy

Thanks for the positive feedback, Chaps!
The mortise is a regular flat sided affair, Andy. I spent a while getting it just so and it needed a clamp to pull it fully home. The glue won't have a lot of work to do...... :lol:
Chris - you're right. Virgin woodie, awaiting use. The dings they pick up and the dirt, sweat and crud they accumulate turn them into little treasures. Getting all nostalgic now..... :roll: :D
I will sort out some WIP pics soon.
Cheers
Phil :D

Beautiful details, Philly! I especially like the details around the throat and abutments.

Are you gonna camber the iron? Mind letting us know how much? Bill Clark of C&W says he uses 5-1/2" and he knows that because he always uses the same 11" diameter coffee can (or some kind of can) to scribe the blade on his jacks.

BTW, is your original example, the model for this new one, marked?

Wiley

Here we go - WIP pictures for you all!
I missed out cutting the eyes on the top of the throat (sorry, forgot to take a pic) but apart from that its all there.
Wiley - The iron is cambered, just by eye at the moment. I'll measure it next time I'm in the 'shop.
Markings on the original are:

S Tyzack and Son Ltd
343 Old Street
London
"TRYTO reg"

I bought it a car boot sale for the princely sum of £1 :D
Cheers
Philly :D
DSCF6310.jpg

Philly":3k8sr1nx said:
Hi Folks
Finished another plane, this time the Jack.

Just to show I'm paying attention - beautifully worked chamfers.

(oh yeah, and amen to pretty much everybody else said)

BugBear

Nice work Philly.... I'm sure that you'll get a lot of enjoyment using it.

I really want to make a smart comment about breaking timber near glue lines or something... but can't find anything that hasn't already been said on another thread! :roll: :wink:

That spalted beech looks nice... wish I could get some to tryout.... great work

Latest posts

Back