Preparing for the Perth LN Tool Event

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
This weekend in Perth is the LN Tool Event. This is the third or fourth year it has been held. Each year I have been invited to provide a weekend of demonstrations. I have tried to vary these. This year I suggested plane making and, before I could change my mind, this appeared on the adverts. It dawned on me shortly after this that I should have suggested something simpler.

In for a penny, in for a pound ... I spend the past three weekends building planes to take with me as examples. I have a number of planes I have built over the years that I could take along as examples - a recent bridle plough and a jointer, two dovetail planes (one male and one female) ... the list is quite long. However I thought I needed something fresh.

I also realised that the type of planes I could build in front of an audience (whom I am sure will get bored and move on) would be limited to those I could chop out in front of them. Some thing like a coffin smoother. So I have planned for this. The problem with these planes is that they are not for absolute beginners. The easiest plane to build is a laminated body, notably the Krenov plane (with a correctly shaped cross piece, which is the most important part of the design). However these are machine-made planes, which I cannot do at the Tool Event. To demonstrate these planes, then, I have made up a model that can be broken down, and several examples of a Krenov.

The third type of plane I have to show is a router plane. These are easy to build with a drill press. I shall give anyone interested a plan to use at home, plus demonstrate its use. I've made up a few for sale as well.

Here is a my bench as I tidied up this evening ...

LNTE1_zps14a75a62.jpg

I updated the router plan knobs today ...

RP2_zpsb7da66e0.jpg

RP3_zpsf560826e.jpg

There's a wavy washer in front of the knob. It act as a spring and allows the knob to be loosened without losing all tension. So, when loosening off tension on the blade to move it, the blade remains under some tension, but can still be slid up or down.

RP1_zps06c5daff.jpg

I really like these router planes. They are what I would call a "Medium" - smaller than a large and larger than a small. Really an excellent size, nimble and very precise. Think of them as a woodie - they do not need an fine adjuster as they are adjusted with a light tap from a mallet. The planes use the Veritas irons, so there is a range from 1/8' through to 1/2" available (there's a 1/4" and 1/2" with each one on sale). The blade holder uses a wavy washer (like the Veritas), which means that you can loosen the wing nut and the blade will not drop out. There is a depth stop (which I consider a vital piece of equipment with a router plane).

Krenov smoother in West Australian She-oak. This is 7" long, with a 1 1/2" Hock blade/chipbreaker at 55 degrees.

LNTE3_zpsaebb43c9.jpg

Three Krenov block planes. 5 1/4" long, with two in Jarrah and a third in Tuart. 1 1/4" Mujingfang blades (from Lee Valley), bedded at 40 degrees.

LNTE4_zpsaa623b35.jpg

I am so impressed with these Krenov planes. I have an original plane from Jim Krenov, which I use on occasions, but otherwise have never had much interest in building these planes. They are soooo sweet!

I built this 55 degree coffin smoother today. The body is my favourite Tasmanian Blackwood (similar to Koa). The 1 3/4" iron is a (NOS) J.Herring & Sons, which is laminated and tapered. The body is 6 3/4" long.

LNTE5a_zps91e21fc5.jpg

LNTE6_zpsb88fab11.jpg

LNTE7_zps5d31ab72.jpg

The Blackwood was very tricky to chop. It is beautiful wood to plane, but tends to chip when chiseling. Consequently, I had to make another brass mouth. (It's getting to the point where I shall have to use them as my signature!)

The mouth is very tight ...

A4_zps4fc7a98a.jpg

A 15" Jarrah Strike Block Plane (pitched at 38 degrees) for the shooting board ...

SB35_zps9d4c5867.jpg

SB41_zpsf8670f5b.jpg

Here is the Krenov that can be pulled apart. Along side it is an example of the router plane post drilling and pre sawing ...

LNTE10_zps7f19b4a4.jpg

Lastly, there are blanks in various stages for building the smoothers ..

LNTE11_zps16c12ef1.jpg

All suggestions welcomed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

You've some lovely examples of your work Derek and the brass mouths are an excellent "design element".

All I would alter on your router planes would be the addition of several threaded inserts, because these would extend their utility by providing the option to add an adjustable fence and/or sole extension.

Although not strictly a fan of Krenov style hand planes, I do like the look of your examples and hope they function every bit as well, as they appear both very well made and extremely functional.

I hope the show goes well. :)

Hi Derek,
I just wanted to say thanks for the OWT plans on your website.

Here's my version using an 8mm Allen key and a 10mm dowel depth stop. The set screws are A2 stainless hex heads with boxwood knurled (Hamlet decorating elf) heads.

IMG_20130409_092845_613_zps5c2bc967.jpg

IMG_20130409_092856_347_zps65845091.jpg

As it happens the body is Aussie ironbark given to me by a mate. The photos don't flatter the finish do they? - Danish Oil.

but thanks again
Jon

Hi Jon

That looks great!

When I built the one on the website it was based around a blade from an Allen/Hex key. They have a flat side facing the bolt (as shown in your picture). However, when I began using the Veritas blades this was no longer a viable design. The Veritas blades would "point" at the bolt, and this leaves too little registration area. I tried to modify the connection, but was not satisfied. Hence the design using an eye bolt (that pulls instead of pushes). I will have a pictorial on it on the website shortly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek absolutely beautiful planes! On fact that statement goes for everything on your website too!

I am very jealous of the woods you get from over there, especially the jarrah .... I have to work with tiny pieces from workshop heaven :)

Cheers
John

Back