Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

I've only gone and perfected sharpening! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I know!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Bm101

Lean into the curve.
Joined
19 Aug 2015
Messages
3,949
Reaction score
281
Location
Herts.
Alright I'll give it up straight up and honest. This will be a blow to some of you sharpening die hards. The guys who will only stand on one leg during a full moon and rub your bits with camilla's oil in the light of a full moon. Sorry about that. Especially Prince Charles.
We all know sharpening is a bit of subject right? There is none of that freehand nonsense here. So on your bike Jacob. You chancer.
But I have breakthrough news.
To be honest there's been whispers among the top makers and their clientele for months now that there was a new guy on the scene, an innovator. A man who did not recognise the box built to restrain him by society. He was probably rich and handsome, almost certainly a genius.
That's me btw, Just in case I'd lost you there.
So. I was at my bench yesterday and I went to pick up my pencil. I did that. Then I noticed The sharpener was gone. Now I know right. Blunt pencil. Workshop full of tools I could almost fathom a random way of sharpening a pencil nearly anywhere. Right. But that's not the point.
This needed a solution because I love my pencil sharpener and it works like a hydrogen bomb among pencil sharpeners. Well a grenade at least.

https://www.manufactum.co.uk/brass-penc ... gK8NPD_BwE

Then I had a thought. Better solution needed.
Tik Tok. :roll:

Hole drilled in side of bench. Not too high, not too low. Goldilocks height.


Good Gracious. Another hole. Drilled from underneath as waste clearance.
I tried using my cheap forstner bits but actually spade bits were far better for this. They gotta be good for summat.

Take your sharpener. Wrapping it in masking tape and drilling a tiny bit bigger housing means you can remove it simply. Yay.


Slip it in. Friction fit. Definitely not making jokes.


A flush fit doesn't work, it needs to be recessed.


Now some of you guys who aren't internationally recognised leaders of the craft like me you need to pay attention to this point, If you put your pencil anywhere else on your workbench it won't sharpen by itself just because you have fitted it. It doesn't sharpen by osmosis.


There you go. Sharpening debate over.
Almost.
At least you will never be at a loss to have a sharp pencil at hand.

Feel free to use this till I get legal rights. 8)
Regards
Chris
 

Trainee neophyte

[Insert witty and amusing title here]
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
2,271
Reaction score
134
Location
Greece
A breathtaking work of heartbreaking genius.

I will immediately start building a bench so I can drill two holes in it. Hold my beer, and watch this!

(On balance, this might be overly sarcastic - if I had a bench, I would almost certainly drill a hole in it for a pencil sharpener, so kudos for the post.)
 

sammy.se

Established Member
Joined
3 Aug 2014
Messages
1,260
Reaction score
60
Location
London
Bm101":14k886ai said:
Alright I'll give it up straight up and honest. This will be a blow to some of you sharpening die hards. The guys who will only stand on one leg during a full moon and rub your bits with camilla's oil in the light of a full moon. Sorry about that. Especially Prince Charles.
We all know sharpening is a bit of subject right? There is none of that freehand nonsense here. So on your bike Jacob. You chancer.
But I have breakthrough news.
To be honest there's been whispers among the top makers and their clientele for months now that there was a new guy on the scene, an innovator. A man who did not recognise the box built to restrain him by society. He was probably rich and handsome, almost certainly a genius.
That's me btw, Just in case I'd lost you there.
So. I was at my bench yesterday and I went to pick up my pencil. I did that. Then I noticed The sharpener was gone. Now I know right. Blunt pencil. Workshop full of tools I could almost fathom a random way of sharpening a pencil nearly anywhere. Right. But that's not the point.
This needed a solution because I love my pencil sharpener and it works like a hydrogen bomb among pencil sharpeners. Well a grenade at least.

https://www.manufactum.co.uk/brass-penc ... gK8NPD_BwE

Then I had a thought. Better solution needed.
Tik Tok. :roll:

Hole drilled in side of bench. Not too high, not too low. Goldilocks height.


Good Gracious. Another hole. Drilled from underneath as waste clearance.
I tried using my cheap forstner bits but actually spade bits were far better for this. They gotta be good for summat.

Take your sharpener. Wrapping it in masking tape and drilling a tiny bit bigger housing means you can remove it simply. Yay.


Slip it in. Friction fit. Definitely not making jokes.


A flush fit doesn't work, it needs to be recessed.


Now some of you guys who aren't internationally recognised leaders of the craft like me you need to pay attention to this point, If you put your pencil anywhere else on your workbench it won't sharpen by itself just because you have fitted it. It doesn't sharpen by osmosis.


There you go. Sharpening debate over.
Almost.
At least you will never be at a loss to have a sharp pencil at hand.

Feel free to use this till I get legal rights. 8)
Regards
Chris
I salute you, you legend.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
 

HappyHacker

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2016
Messages
395
Reaction score
14
Location
Chester
Brilliant. But it does not help me, I can never find the pencil in the first place even if I only put it down one second ago :(
 

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Joined
18 Nov 2012
Messages
2,283
Reaction score
72
Location
In me workshop
Great idea Chris :)
Gotta ask, how much were your forstner bits, and what wood is that?
I have some of the stuff, planed it while damp and it was very stringy.
Thanks
Tom
 

Phil Pascoe

occasional purveyor of blunt tools.
UKW Supporter
Joined
29 Jan 2012
Messages
19,539
Reaction score
495
Location
Shaft City, Mid Cornish Desert
HappyHacker":1hm0p9o3 said:
Brilliant. But it does not help me, I can never find the pencil in the first place even if I only put it down one second ago :(
That is why between my desk and my workshop I have probably top side of sixty pencils. :D
 

LancsRick

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2011
Messages
912
Reaction score
0
Location
Lancashire
I'm honestly sick of the discrimination that seems to be rife these days in the world, and it would appear also this forum. People claiming they have benefited the masses whilst ignoring the important minority. Sickens me.

That's right, red carpenters pencils. Won't work for that will it, you elitist snob!


(I do love that though, you need to fess up the first time you try sharpening the pencil in the wrong bench hole!)
 

Lons

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
7,406
Reaction score
165
Location
Northumberland
Love it but there's a flaw in your design.
Goldilocks height is about goolie height for many male woodworkers. Makes your eye's water just thinking of a pencil sticking out at that position. :wink:

Might give the nurses in A&E a chuckle though. :lol:
 

Attachments

Bm101

Lean into the curve.
Joined
19 Aug 2015
Messages
3,949
Reaction score
281
Location
Herts.
Trainee neophyte":2u9yfczc said:
Hold my beer, and watch this!
Are you expecting it back? :-s Good luck with that.

novocaine":2u9yfczc said:
The hardest bit is getting the brnch in your pencil case for exam time.
I have solved this problem by never learning anything new so no need to get examined. Easy. Next.

sammy.se":2u9yfczc said:
]I salute you, you legend.
Thankyou Sammy, it's nice that someone other than my Mum recognises it at last and unlike most legends, I'm just dead on the inside. Not actually properly dead.

phil.p":2u9yfczc said:
Why not just use a chisel? :? :D
Cos they are all the way over there lookin' neat Phil. Recognise any? :wink:



adidat":2u9yfczc said:
what no dust extraction??? :shock: :shock:
Adidat
Did you not see the hole underneath mate?
Or the state of the floor?
Dust extraction is inbuilt.

HappyHacker":2u9yfczc said:
Brilliant. But it does not help me, I can never find the pencil in the first place even if I only put it down one second ago :(
This is the undeniable flaw in the design to be fair. I'm currently working within a somewhat secretive partnership with the RAF at Menwith Hill

on a device that will track pencils all over the country. Because I'm sure that's where I must leave them I go through so many. So keep an eye out for that next.

Ttrees":2u9yfczc said:
Gotta ask, how much were your forstner bits, and what wood is that?
Tom
Cheap and secondhand Tom. That's why they are blunt. :wink: I'm sure better ones would cope admirably.
Wood is Keruing. Came from the local buildersyard. Bit toxic, splintery and not a lovely wood to work, silica and that but it's machines ok and it's a cheap hardwood. Does what it says on the tin so to speak.

Inspector":2u9yfczc said:
The bench is too big and heavy to turn around the pencil.
Pete
This is a fair and valid point Pete and was raised by myself at the early design stages. It was never answered properly because there was no else there.
Going forward I expect I will resort to either some form of mechanical aid or as a last resort insert the pencil by hand, hold it steady and perform a series of neatly executed somersaults.

Suffolkboy":2u9yfczc said:
I use a biro.
Again. A fair point. Probably.

LancsRick":2u9yfczc said:
I'm honestly sick of the discrimination that seems to be rife these days in the world, and it would appear also this forum. People claiming they have benefited the masses whilst ignoring the important minority. Sickens me.

That's right, red carpenters pencils. Won't work for that will it, you elitist snob!
Well Rick. While it is true I am often mistaken as a member of the elite ruling class, what with my monocle, and top hat and tucking into me Horse Duvres alongside a glass of babycham for my Sunday lunch this development in sharpening was shared for the benefit of all people of all types everywhere. Even the thick ones.

Consider.
Your.
Mind.
Blown.



:shock:

Lons":2u9yfczc said:
Love it but there's a flaw in your design.
Goldilocks height is about goolie height for many male woodworkers. Makes your eye's water just thinking of a pencil sticking out at that position. :wink:
Crikey I never realised she was a midg...OOoooh! Gotcha! ... Er, yeh, heh, it's not really designed as storage solution as such Lons. 8-[

Steve Maskery":2u9yfczc said:
So does Lurker. Some of them are even his own :)
:D
 

Trainee neophyte

[Insert witty and amusing title here]
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
2,271
Reaction score
134
Location
Greece
Are we saying that Goldilocks is actually a dwarf witch, who blows things? Does she also have a flat head to rest your pint on? I will have to revisit the 3Bears story armed with the new knowledge, as I am sure that there will be some revelations for the newly initiated.
 

Lons

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
7,406
Reaction score
165
Location
Northumberland
Trainee neophyte":1z4gqo7r said:
Are we saying that Goldilocks is actually a dwarf witch, who blows things? Does she also have a flat head to rest your pint on? I will have to revisit the 3Bears story armed with the new knowledge, as I am sure that there will be some revelations for the newly initiated.
:lol: :lol: Sounds like a typical childs' fairy story to me but there's a thought a flat thing to rest your pint on, genius, wonder if the table idea has been patented. :lol:
 

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Joined
18 Jun 2006
Messages
1,702
Reaction score
120
Location
Saskatoon, SK., Canada
It never occurred to me to do summersaults to sharpen the pencil. Now I can get some gymnastic practice in too. Hopefully I won't knock myself out in the process and be found in a heap on the floor weeks later when someone decides the lawn has gotten too long and complains to my wife.

That little blue sharpener isn't the answer for carpenter's pencils. Makes a weak pointy tip just like a normal pencil has. This one is loads better. https://www.generalpencil.com/store/p84/S-6000.html Search for Flat Point Sharpener or Flat Point Pencil Sharpener for other sellers. Lee Valley sold them for a while.

Pete
 
Top