I've made a thing - Horrah!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Castanea

Established Member
Reaction score
In response to Dalboy's suggestion that people might post a few more pics of turnings here's one I finished a couple of weeks ago. I made a tiny (1" high) cake stand a little while ago so I felt I should do a proper sized one too. This is Sweet Chestnut which was felled about seven years ago, planked in the wood with a WoodMiser and stacked in the dry. We use the 2" planks for rustic bench tops in nature reserves and the off-cuts make nice blanks for platters. This is my first cake stand - in fact the first thing I've made with a bunch of parts which have to fit together - so I'm happy with it. Feel free to pass comment - as I say, I'm happy with it but I'm also happy to hear suggestions for improvements :)

Cake-Stand-2.jpg

Cake-Stand-3.jpg

Cake-Stand-1.jpg

Attachments

• Cake-Stand-2.jpg
    Cake-Stand-2.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 1,495
  • Cake-Stand-3.jpg
    Cake-Stand-3.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 1,495
  • Cake-Stand-1.jpg
    Cake-Stand-1.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 1,495
Looks nicely turned and finished! You`ve made a good job of getting the plates smooth and flat, so will be easy to clean. My only suggestion would be perhaps to have made the central supports a little slimmer and simpler in shape, to match the simple, smooth look of the plates more closely

Well done on the platter finish, flat without showing ripples/undulations in the reflections is not a simple matter.

Similar thoughts on the stems as the other folks, may be a personal thing but I don't like turned items that show coves and beads in spindles and the like that don't have a function, always think it's a case of 'Just because I can' . As I say though it's just a personal thing and there's nothing wrong with the turning, slimmer or plainer can look more elegant which might go better with the clean lines of the platters.

Many thanks for taking the time to comment. Yes, slimmer might have been nice (but I quite like the chunky rounded curviness too). I didn't design the spindles - just made them up as I went along hence they look kind of similar-ish but different enough to jar a bit :) I did them in a bit of a rush to be honest to get it finished for our monthly competition so all the comments are a good reminder to look again and see what I could have done better.
As for how many coves and beads are best - for better or worse I'm definitely going through a coves and beads phase. Richard Findley demonstrated a lampshade to our club recently and recommended Classic Forms by Stuart E Dyas so I am shamelessly adding beads and scotia and fillets to all and sundry to learn them and play with them. The shed's in danger of looking like some sort or Romano Grecian bouduoir at the moment - I'll settle down in time.
Thanks again for the comments and apologies in advance for the likely proliferation of coves and beads coming up. My entry for the autumn competition did at least benefit from some sort of design process (all be it short) but it may be a little beady for some tastes :)
As for the need for a table - the crawly things will have to be blooming quick around here if they're to get a look in!

That's very nice Chas - lovely that it all screws together and apart too. Beautiful work on the connectors and worth noting that three tiers of cakes is always better than two! As you say each have their place - mine would look fussy and heavy in a modern setting, yours would look a bit out of place in a Victorian tea rooms. Once I've had my fill of classical mouldings I'll see how I do with stylishly modern. I've a strong suspicion getting it right is a damn sight harder than it looks :)

Back