Ive got a second hand lathe, what maintence do i need to do?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alie Barnes

Established Member
Reaction score
i've just got a Lathe of a friend whos emigrated to Australia. its a "record CL1 36 X 15" What maintence should i do on it?

Friend has had it a couple of years and has never done anything to it, so figured i should.

i've got no instruction manual for it.

Cheers

It's unlikely to need any maintenance that I can think of Alie.

Russel is the guru on the Record lathes and might put us right, but the CL1 is a very simple, robust design with sealed bearings that generally last for years and need no ongoing maintenance as far as I know.

Likewise there are no complicated speed gizmos or such like to go wrong, speed changing is a simple manual adjustment of the belt on the pulleys (bit tedious though !).

Just start turning and enjoy !

Cheers, Paul. :D

Hello Alie and welcome :D
I had the DML24,and as Chisel says above it had sealed bearings,so no maintainance required really,just a general clean off of dust,though i did try and keep the support bars nice and smooth by spraying WD40 on and wiping off now and again.
Also as it got the Bristol levers fitted,if not i would get them on there.
Hope this helps.
Paul.J.

The CL1 is a has a sealed bearing unit so nothing to do there. Just check the belt for wear and alignment.. Then give everything a good clean. You can remove the head from the swivel plate and check it is clean and put a thin film of grease on it. > usually with this type of lathe its just necessary to ensure the bed bars stay clean to allow everything to slide correctly. It is also worth while running the tool rest over a linisher if the surface is not smooth.

The banjo's on Record lathes often need a little fettling. I usually clean the paint out of the banjo slide and ensure the bolt can slide freely. There is a cam lock banjo you can fit if you cannot get along with the original one.

The other thing that should be done on all lathes is to periodically clean out the tapers in the tail stock and head stock. They fill up with dust and shavings that can become compressed and cause inaccurate centering or centre wobble.

Russell":1nd8fi87 said:
The other thing that should be done on all lathes is to periodically clean out the tapers in the tail stock and head stock. They fill up with dust and shavings that can become compressed and cause inaccurate centering or centre wobble.

Russell - what's the best way to do this?

NickWelford":2hn1uy2d said:
Russell":2hn1uy2d said:

Russell - what's the best way to do this?

same question.

Also

It is also worth while running the tool rest over a linisher if the surface is not smooth

The tool rest isnt smooth it has some dents and stuff on it. how do i go about smoothing it all off?

Welcome Alie.

As Russell said use a linisher on the tool rest. Or if you don't possess a linisher, do as I do 'draw file' the top edge making sure you keep it flat and level. Not hard to do, just take your time.

Alie Barnes":2op0pn9y said:
It is also worth while running the tool rest over a linisher if the surface is not smooth

The tool rest isnt smooth it has some dents and stuff on it. how do i go about smoothing it all off?

Alie - I just smooth mine with varous grades of diamond file - not having a linisher (which I suspect most turners don't possess) them put a light wax on the top

Best way to clean out tapers is with a brass wire brush I use a one I got with my collet cleaning kit and a little resin remover if its really stubborn but the brush should be fine.

Latest posts

Back