I've bought something from the dark side

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaco

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep it's a METAL cutting thingy me jig and lots of bits to cut myself on, I've never used one before so I must be up for a challenge ...

I have even borrowed a book but I'm refusing to look at the manual after all I am a man! :wink:

STA72707.jpg

STA72706.jpg

STA72699.jpg

STA72700.jpg

STA72698.jpg

STA72705.jpg

STA72704.jpg

STA72701.jpg

Sounds like you are not sure how to use it??

You need to sell it me immediately!!!

Thanks in anticipation..................

I think if I stand still and look at it long enough I will become an expert!

Oh sorry Lee, it was just that Mel had one for sale not long ago which looked like this one. I know he was happy with his and I am sure you will be with yours too. A handy tool to have that is for sure. :wink:

I am VERY envious, HOW much did that cost you, if it's not a rude question, I'll understand if you can't say.

Regards,

Rich.

Hi Rich

I did read up a bit on what to get and Myford came high on the list they started making the ML7 in 1934 and you can still buy all the bits for that from Myford now, this is the slightly better Super 7 and it was made in about 1960 and is built like a proverbial it cost £500 which sounds alot but just look on the Myford site or Ebay you'll be shocked!

Ah! That takes me back a few years. :D

That standard toolpost that comes with the Super 7 was a bit primitive. Get yourself a nice 4 way toolpost... or with the kit that you have you could make yourself one!

The Super 7 (and the ML7) is a great workhorse!

Rod

seaco":3cj83c7v said:
Hi Rich

I did read up a bit on what to get and Myford came high on the list they started making the ML7 in 1934 and you can still buy all the bits for that from Myford now, this is the slightly better Super 7 and it was made in about 1960 and is built like a proverbial it cost £500 which sounds alot but just look on the Myford site or Ebay you'll be shocked!

I'm still envious :( but happy for you) :D

Nice one Lee, it looks like a lovely machine.

I bought my small metalwork lathe about 6 months ago and have really enjoyed using it since then. I was a bit unsure if it would get the use when I bought it, but its been very handy.

Like you, I was working on the basis that if it stood and stared long enough it would eventually come to me! Whilst this is not quite true, its not as hard as you may think.

Cheers, Ed

Looks good to me :p

And I agree with the " IF ALL ELSE FAILS READ THE INSTRUCTIONS "

Dont think the angle grinder spanners are anything to do with the lathe ?

:lol:

You will be amazed at the things you can repair or make when you have a lathe. When things break the normal route for most is to consider replacement, but stop and think could I make that part often you can. However once the locals know you have the capability you will become very popular. Make sure you use the correct oil Esso Nuto H32.

Model Engineers Workshop have had a few restoration articles on the Super 7 this year. As well as a few projects like adding a stop to the feed, and a DRO retrofit. It might be worth getting a few back copies. Someone also posted some refurb pictures on here:
http://modeleng.proboards20.com/index.cgi
and here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bryan.rozier/myford_maintenance.html

What kind of condition are the ways in? Does it traverse smoothly along the length without tightening up? Most of them show wear on the bed nearer to the headstock, so if you adjust out the slop there, you can't move the saddle at the tail end. If it is really bad, Myford can regrind for you.

Have fun.

i'd love to get into metal turning, but that's a hobby too far.

Good luck with it, lots of pics of your playing please ;)

wizer":2u6il9az said:
i'd love to get into metal turning, but that's a hobby too far.

Good luck with it, lots of pics of your playing please ;)

Been there got the T shirt :lol: If you think wood turning or woodwork is dirty eg, saw dust, chippings etc etc you aint seen nothing until you turn metal using a coolant.

Seaco
This was my first attempt using bronze, it started life 18" long 3" dia.
2337239632_daabe7d757.jpg

They are great fun but be careful - another slippery slope!
Some of the Myford extras are very expensive but the cloned parts are cheaper and still readily available.
My friend and neighbour has a Super 7 and has been gradually building up all the extra devices to make clocks - he bought his in 1992 and still has not finished one!
I bought a tiny Emco Unimat 3 a few months ago which came with lots of extras including a milling attachment and clock wheel cutters. My winter project is to make The Beginners Clock featured in the ME but even the basic materials cost over £150 - brass and silver steel ain't cheap!! :)
From a visit to the Midlands ME Show the other week we learnt that Myford and Meddings stuff are now made in China. The much cheaper models by Chester and Warco look very good value in comparison?

Rod

If you think the woodturning route is a slippery slope, then the Myford metal route is even worse!
You've got a goldmine there - vertical slide, looks like most of a collet set, just need the 4-way toolpost and you can do anything. Axminster do a copy of the original Myford/Dickson 4-way for a not unreasonable sum, and I think I've seen them in Tilgear sale occasionally. Probably either would be cheaper than the 'bay - Myford stuff goes for crazy money there.
Two things to check - do all the slides slide with uniform resistance all the way? If not, you may find yourself with a lot of hand scraping to do to get the slideways exactly parallel. (Been there, done that) Second, make sure you always keep the headstock oilway for back geared speed lubricated. Otherwise, it can seize (been there, nearly did it)
But I wouldn't swap your 7 for my SUPER 7 :D. And I paid less for it - not that I'm gloating or anything

Back