It's all going on at Lidl again this Monday

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grinder looks interesting, I need one of those. Usually whats in english Lidl comes to finnish lidl within a month. I am starting to have quite the amount of parkside stuff at home. It's basically the only new made budget stuff I am comfortable buying.

Sharpener also looks interesting but is it a good design?

Does anybody have any idea as to what kind of blades/cutters the combination cutter takes?

Many thanks Graham for flagging up the next deals at Lidl. I need a second drill driver so will be visiting Witney on Monday.

John

John15":9sihpmmi said:
Many thanks Graham for flagging up the next deals at Lidl. I need a second drill driver so will be visiting Witney on Monday.

John

You can get onto their email list John, same with Aldi......sad eh?

Graham

Anyone got any insight into that 'combination cutter' widget? From my eye, it looks like it takes Dremel sized bits, with a jigsaw-esque base and handle? That's not something I've seen before, but an intriguing idea. Less general purpose, more suitable for linear grinding.

I suspect I might need to get eyes on, come monday...

Eric The Viking":1kpjecpb said:
You can never have enough digital calipers!

At that price they might even adapt to make a DRO for the thicknesser and/or the router table.

Sorely tempted.

E.

That's an interesting idea. I wonder how high they would read if you adapted them to run against a longer straight edge and how accurate they would be over a greater distance.

I can feel a similar experiment coming along.

Shug

Mrwilson":7o85djr8 said:
I wonder how high they would read if you adapted them to run against a longer straight edge and how accurate they would be over a greater distance.

I think you'll find that electronic callipers work via a particular pattern of conductors on the stator bar of the calliper, which IIRC are used to determine the speed and direction of motion when you move the head. So on one hand, they would read as high as the electronics of the device are capable of counting (which is almost certainly higher than the length of the stator) but would only be as accurate as the pattern that you would have to etch/deposit/otherwise manufacture on your longer straight edge.

Unfortunately, the short version is that it's probably not worth the time it would take to try.

(After a quick Google, here's an explanation and here's a photo where you can see the etched pattern underneath the label. The explanation page also implies that the label itself is also a critical element, as liquid in contact with the plates would alter the capacitance and thus the reading!)

Mrwilson":3prpguj5 said:
Thank you, just saved me £8.99!!

That's a shame, Shug.

For my uses they might be fine though - as a decent depth gauge on the router table and on the thicknesser. They're certainly adaptable with care.

I know people have fitted DROs to thicknessers - been written up here in the past - but I struggle to see how I could improve on the 'counting turns' approach. With my little Kity, there's a narrow range of cuts that work - too shallow and you leave marks from the infeed roller. Too deep and it hasn't got the grunt to do it. I've settled on between 1 & 2mm max, and just got used to multiple passes.

I can see that having one on the pillar drill would work well, but again, how often do you need exact blind holes in woodwork?

E. (who may still pop over there this morning...)

E.

I've just tried every Lidl in the county, and they all sold out of the Sharpening Station early this morning!

Latest posts

Back