It pays to ride a motorbike !!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggflan

Established Member
Reaction score
In 1923, Who Was:

1. President of the largest steel company?
2.. President of the largest gas company?
3. President of the New York stock Exchange?
4. Greatest wheat speculator?
5. President of the Bank of International Settlement?
6. Great Bear of Wall Street?

These men were considered some of the worlds most successful of their days..

Now, 88 years later, the history book asks us, if we know what ultimately became of them..

The Answers:

1. The president of the largest steel company.
Charles Schwab,

died a pauper.

2. The president of the largest gas company,
Edward Hopson,

went insane.

3. The president of the NYSE,
Richard Whitney,

was released from prison
to die at home.

4. The greatest wheat speculator,
Arthur Cooger,

died abroad, penniless.

5. The president of
the Bank of International Settlement,

shot himself.

6 The Great Bear of Wall Street,
Cosabee Livermore,

also committed suicide

However,
In that same year, 1923,
the winner of the worlds most important road race,
the Isle of Man T.T.,
was

Stanley Woods.

What became of him?

He won 10 T.T. races between 1923 and 1939,
He lived on the Isle of Man and rode motorcycles all his life. He lapped the island circuit at 82 mph in 1957 (The Golden Jubilee) aged 54
He was a wealthy man when he died aged 90.

The Moral:

Stuff work.
Ride motorbikes.

yes...and look at all the rich and successful people who die rich, happy and content and then consider all the bikers who die poor, mad, penniless etc or just die too soon to have lived their 3 score and 10 etc. Still don't see the point :) :)
Miles

I've followed a number of bikers at dusk. They're riding a black bike, have black clothing (which most of them seem to sport) with a miniscule rear light...50m in front of the car they become invisible. The previous comment about many not reaching their allotted span is apt and I often think that some bikers (clearly not all) must have just one brain brain cell between them. I know it's a blokie macho thing but sometimes I do wonder :roll: Contrast that to pushbikers (moi inc) many of whom are lit up like a belisha beacon - Rob

Hi, Rob

Not many all black bike on sale at the moment or black clothing, when did you observe this happening?

pete (green white and blue bike and matching leathers)

woodbloke":297e5q0l said:
I've followed a number of bikers at dusk. They're riding a black bike, have black clothing (which most of them seem to sport) with a miniscule rear light...50m in front of the car they become invisible. The previous comment about many not reaching their allotted span is apt and I often think that some bikers (clearly not all) must have just one brain brain cell between them. I know it's a blokie macho thing but sometimes I do wonder :roll: Contrast that to pushbikers (moi inc) many of whom are lit up like a belisha beacon - Rob

What I have found though is if you want to compare push-bikers to motor-bikers; the motor-bikers tend to be more responsible with regards to rules of the road, fewer tend to run red lights, mount the pavement in order to go around a red light (or other perceived obstruction ), swerve without indicating. The small rear lights tend (on newer bikes) to be LED which are brighter than most car rear lights, additionally most bikers (moi included) tend to ride with the headlights on 24/7. I will admit to dark leathers but that is about the only fashion statement I allow myself, though the bike is white & blue.

Pvt_Ryan":3puke320 said:
What I have found though is if you want to compare push-bikers to motor-bikers; the motor-bikers tend to be more responsible with regards to rules of the road.

24.gif

I encountered a "cyclist" today. Well. a man on a bike anyway. He crossed the road in front of me and continued to ride directly towards me, in the middle of the lane on the wrong side of the road and waved as he went past, me having to "overtake" to avoid hitting him. I couldn't believe it. He continued like that, too. Some young yob who thinks he's invincible? No, he was older than I am.

The fact is that there are good and bad drivers, good and bad bikers and good and bad cyclists. There are many idiots in this world and they don't all share the same preference for transport.

S

Steve

The worst thing is you never waved back :D :D :D

Pete

Steve Maskery":5xe4d49w said:
The fact is that there are good and bad drivers, good and bad bikers and good and bad cyclists. There are many idiots in this world and they don't all share the same preference for transport.

Yep, spot on Steve

The ratio of bad cyclists is much higher than the other transport users though :lol:

:roll:

Wow i only posted the ditty for a bit of fun but seem to have poked a wasps nest :cry:

Where would one start when replying to some of the posts above ,

Well as for the majority of bikers wearing black leathers and clothing , what a load of cobblers that statement is , perhaps back in the fifties and sixties yes but certainly not now , The biggest % of bikers wear the brightest clothing of anyone dressed up like power rangers in multi colour race rep suits and all manufacturers fit reflective material onto bike clothing as standard even if its just in the piping or stitching , its ironic that the majority of motorcycle accidents are caused by car drivers pulling out at junctions or pulling accross lanes without having a look first most bikes travel during daylight with headlights on in fact a lot of new bikes dont even have an off switch for headlights for this reason .

Bikers are amonst the most awake motorists on the road because they know that everyone is out to kill them :shock: the hooligan rocker and hells angel stereotypes get stuck to anyone who happens to enjoy riding bikes and is unfair if you ask me , they are the friendliest and most helpfull bunch of people you are ever likely to meet , all groups have a share of idiots but you cant tarnish everyone the same way 17 yr olds fly round the streets in jumped up little corsas with stereos blasting but nobody says that all car drivers are like that :roll:

Most bikers are organ donors yes or should i say most bikers carry an organ donation card because they know how fragile the body can be and they want to do their bit should the worst happen so you should be gratefull because one day a person you know may get the heart from a young red blooded biker whos life has been ended early because someone didnt look when pulling out from a junction in my oppinion every person in the country should be an organ donor :!:

And the reason the bikes tail light is not visible after 50 yards is because you are still sat in the traffic jam and he has gone round the corner infront :p :p :p :lol:

Very well put Mic =D>
has anyone else noticed that 'Woodenbloke' seems to have an opinion on everything ?
leave the talking cobblers bit to those of us who are expert in talking cobblers :lol:

I had a car written off a few years back by a taxi driver, turned out he was registered blind!
A friend's comment was, 'aren't they all?'
The only serious bike accident I have had in 50 yrs, yes I've fallen off a few times, was a by a driver overtaking me then turning left!

Roy.

Digit":2zgffagx said:
, was a by a driver overtaking me then turning left!

Roy.

This happened to my father in law a few years ago but it was a fire engine that knocked him off , he pulled over to the kerb to let the fire engine passed as it had lights and siren going , it went passed then pulled back in to the kerb before turning left , they even tried to blame my FIL but lucky for him a police car was behind and saw everything ..

Back