issue with chip extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msparker

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a project using a record power PT260 planer thicknesser and needed an extractor after the old one packed in. A helpful forum user pointed me in the direction of a fairly cheap dust/chip extractor from Rutlands and based on the reviews i expected reasonable performance...

However, when using the machine the extractor's hose fairly quickly becomes blocked with chips and loses suction. This is frustrating as i then need to remove the hose, empty it into another container and put it back together; generally making it a very slow process.

Has anybody had similar issues with extraction and how did you solve it? any suggestions welcome

thanks

Most planer thicknesses need around 500cfm. I upgraded to an extractor capable of 1000cfm and installed 6" ducts ever since I have not seen the chippings let alone had a blockage.

There are different types of extraction hose some have much coarser corrugations (often transparent). I've found these are much worse for blocking up than the finer corrugation ones (usually grey). I don't get blockages since I swapped out the cheap hose my extractor came with for the more expensive type.

Which model did you buy. It needs enough power to use with a P/T, like the one I have been using
Clarke CDE 1000 R.jpg

Attachments

• Clarke CDE1000  2 R.jpg
    Clarke CDE1000 2 R.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 119
  • Clarke CDE 1000 R.jpg
    Clarke CDE 1000 R.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 143
Not helpful as I guess it is too late, but I have heard rumour that Rutland only post positive reviews. I don't know if the rumours are right, but if this is the case you can't rely on the reviews on their site, as they would only tell part of the story. I only mention as you say reviews were a factor in you decision to buy.

Terry.

Some extractors have a grill so you can't stick your hand in the impeller while its running, they can cause blockages but you can usually rip then out.

Pete

i had kind of the same problem as Pete, there was a cross on the input to stop chunks of wood hitting the impeller but there was a finer grill on the output hole which clogged when using my planer.
when i opened it up to check it, it had 2" of shavings jammed solid inside.
since making a thien separator its been fine.

Thanks for the replies, my settings (new member I guess) won't allow me to post links but it's the £100 one on rutlands. Apparently it's a non-branded version of a machine that could be twice as much which I semi believe based on other searches.

It has 800m^3/ hr so hopefully ok for the application. It's interestig what was said about the sort of grate at the end of the hose. It has a cross which definitely restricts the output and is generally pretty jammed when it clogs. Perhaps I'll see if it's removable non destructively, or if not, destructively.

Chip extraction is never going to work if the anti personnel injury/impellor protector is in place, matter of minutes and shavings etc. get hung up on them.

Just be careful if you only have a plastic impellor as any sizable pieces of wood hitting the impellor when cleaning up the shop floor has potential to wreck it.

My extractor has a substantial steel impellor and it has been known to get bent with a 2-3 cu in block of wood hitting it.

First thing I did after I bought my chip collector was to remove that grating. Lots of horrible noises over the past 4 years but stilling working fine. :)

The rattle, rattle,rattle, CLANG does happen occasionally to me.
My Kity has a metal impeller so it's o/k.

Pete

Latest posts

Back