Isn't it cute?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanemaux

In Memorium
Reaction score
$_20.JPG
Today I feel that I can finally post on scrolling - scroll saws with other than drop-jawed praise of others work. I have taken my first step into the world of scrolling, a baby step , but a step none the less. For the princely sum of 25 Canuck bucks I got my own baby scroll saw. At a mere 13 inches of throat she is a petite wee bundle and seems healthy and with all the parts in the right places. She does use pinned blades , but I seem to recall that I had training wheels for my first bike too.

Attachments

• $_20.JPG
    $_20.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,227
lanemaux":23o2guaq said:
Today I feel that I can finally post on scrolling - scroll saws with other than drop-jawed praise of others work. I have taken my first step into the world of scrolling, a baby step , but a step none the less. For the princely sum of 25 Canuck bucks I got my own baby scroll saw. At a mere 13 inches of throat she is a petite wee bundle and seems healthy and with all the parts in the right places. She does use pinned blades , but I seem to recall that I had training wheels for my first bike too.

I hate to be the one to disillusion you but you will find scroll-sawing a frustrating experience with that saw and it may well put you off what can be a pleasant hobby.

(sorry if my comment sounds negative but it is better to be honest) :)

My first scroll saw was £20 with a 10" throat and nowhere near as good as even a basic delta and it didn't put me off one bit. And yes, in a domestic setting or a tiny shed there's a heck of lot to be said for the smaller machines that many folk would pass over. :)

Oh yes , I am aware that she has major shortcomings. Not a problem for me as she is not for any sort of production work . I am by nature just a playful guy who is really hard to frustrate. My basic idea is to cut small card models of aircraft as available for printout free from many sites and assemble . I sort of miss making models from when I was a lad. As I am sorta housebound medically , this will serve to keep my hands busy with minimal collateral friction with my owner\ operator. It really is quite quiet in operation because of fairly good weight and will further be securely bolted to a sturdy bench. As a source of lumber I plan on using the thin plywood from Mandarin orange crates . quite thin but remarkably good quality considering intended usage. If this should be too frustrating I will just look back to using a coping saw and birdsmouth and not FRET about it.

I think it looks fine! I splashed out on a cheap scroll saw from ebay (Parkside) with few expectations. I foolishly went online after winning the auction and found various forums where they berated Parkside saws saying they were hopeless and I had half a mind to stick the thing back on Ebay before I even opened it.

Very glad I didn't. Yes, it has shortcomings that could be frustrating, but it's been a great way to start a hobby that has really peaked my interest. And to be honest, if you can't deal with frustrations, I'm guessing woodwork isn't going to be your ideal hobby.

Good on you for buying a heap of junk. ;)

She's a little cuty
I'm working with a monster it wouldn't cut balsa wood with the blades supplied im sure if you find a good quality pinned blade it will cut just fine

Hello lanemaux.
At a mere 25 Canuck bucks (around £14 GBP) you can hardly go wrong IMO !
I look upon starting scrolling the same as learning to drive a car.
How many learners would splash out on a Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls Royce or similar to learn to drive ?
Sure, the more expensive cars are made better and have more features but even a Ford Fiesta gets you from A to B !
What you have bought is a machine that drives 2 arms up and down and thus saves the time and effort of doing it manually as you've been doing previously with a 'coping saw and birdsmouth'.
Features such as pinless blade clamps, variable speed and fast blade changing are desirable but not essential when starting out in this wonderful area of woodworking.
As long as the machine you have/buy does a half decent job then great.
You can then decide whether to move up to a better saw if you find your 'Ford Fiesta' doesn't have enough features or ummph of a BMW or similar !

Enjoy your saw lanemaux and I wish you well.

Scrollerman

Back