Is this useful?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDudester

Established Member
Reaction score
When looking for something tonight, I found this and wondered what it may have been used for.

Thanks

D

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

Are they for accurate thickness measurement, paper, film, foil etc.
Like these
j650a.jpg

EDIT: Original image seems to have gone so replaced with the above. Also added a link that seems to prove that they are designed for measuring film/foil and sheet products Here

For instance. However this modal would be more usable to measue for instance the thickness of a plane iron, piece of banding etc. A caliper is far less suited for thickness mesurement because of the thin and long edged measuring surfaces.

I use something rather similar (just with a deeper reach) in my workshop for measuring the thickness of parts for the violins,violas and cellos i build.
neil

This sort if micrometer has the advantage over a dial calliper or similar in that there is less chance of introducing error when measuring squishy materials by squeezing the jaws too much or too little. Those things squeeze by the same known amount every time (it'll probably say somewhere how many newtons of squashing it does).

Latest posts

Back