Is this rare?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr1

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw this and wondered why, is it very rare? I know Norris planes are sort after but why the interest in this one?

Clearly yes, but it's not usual to talk about such things while the auction is still live, in case any members here are bidding and the discussion pushes the price up. Then again, at that price, it's not very likely!

My guess is that the seller is also surprised. If you expected it to make that kind of money you wouldn't list the postage as 2nd class standard parcels.

Expained in the listing that it's a low prodction Norris mitre plane and they go for big bucks.

Hi just thought you should know why the price is high for a plane with damage Your father had a good plane! It is a Norris Mitre plane low production The last 2 have sold for over 11000.00 GBP Have a look on David Stanley auctions website Or just google Norris mitre plane recent sales You will see what it looked like before it was punished But it can be brought back! Hope this helps, You should add this to your questions, Thanks

Says its out of his Dads garage used as a wheel chock perhaps. :lol:

I think it will need more than a gentle rub to get it back into shape!

I'd much rather have one of these:

Towell-London-Dovetailed-Mitre-Plane-1.jpg

I love infill planes but some collectors are just loonies!

Actually...do ya know what...I wouldn't even want a Towell...I'd much rather have one of Bill's...

In box!

BillCarter6.jpg

Now that is a master craftsman! =D>

Jim

So just over 1.4k for what is effectively a rusty lump of scrap at this stage, how would you start to restore something in that state? Or would the new owner keep it as is?

Very hard to tell Mark- if I had bought it, I would just do the nesseccerry to prevent further deterioration and get it working so it could be a good user again.
But then I wouldn't have bought it at that price. Very hard to tell what sort of chap or chapess would have done.
If it had been in a David Stanley auction, I would guess it would have peaked in the mid to high hundreds and I may have paid that; as probably would others of a like minded idea about restoration.

EBay can be very good for the seller sometimes.

I suppose it comes down to differences in human nature -'Different people, different ways' as DH Lawrence once wrote. It's a bit like the fine art market; some will pay gazillions for an original, but if I like it, I'd rather have a decent print than pay silly money; but then I'd want to stick it on the wall and look at it, not hide it in a bankvault and gloat about possessing it.

In this case, I'd probably be doing a mental calculation during bidding. Do I need it? Do I like it a lot anyway? How much would it cost me in materials and time to make a new one? Can I buy a decent new one cheaper? For many Ebay tools, the price is cheap enough to allow for some fettling time and still end up with a good working tool (better than anything available new in some cases), and when that total cost is lower than a good new one, that's worth it. When the auction price becomes high enough, then for me the pendulum swings to the buy new or make one option.

In this case, I might want to have a look at it to see how it's made, and what it's made of. Then I'd make a new one (assuming I needed one, which I don't), which I'd sign so that future generations knew it was a copy. Then I'd hand the original to the collector and let him enjoy it's originality. That way, we're both happy.

Perhaps the happiest person is the seller. They've won a small fortune for what was to them a bit of junk. Provided they don't go daft and assume that every rusty tool is a potential goldmine, eveybody wins.

Funny old world, innit?

All seems a bit pointless to me. As it is, it's a useless piece of junk. If it was restored so that it worked properly, it would require so much work that it would no longer be a Norris.

More money than sense, in my view - but each to their own :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I think I'm with you on this one Paul, seems like you would need to spend a fair bit of time to get it to become a user. Would be nice to see it used again, rather than sitting on somebody's shelf. Anyone got a picture of how it should look? I tried on David Stanleys site, but didn't really know what I was looking for.

Back