Is there a market for scrap tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
Before yesterdays foray to a vintage sale I had loads of rubbish scrap tools #-o
Owing to the good bits hiding in the dozen or so boxes I bought I now have even more of it :twisted:
There must have been 20 odd hammers along with the obligatory knackered files, rusty wrenches etc.
The rubbish box was to heavy for me to lift :shock:

The thought of weighing it all in makes me shudder but who would want this sort of stuff?

Andy

toolsntat":u8mpmzs3 said:
Before yesterdays foray to a vintage sale I had loads of rubbish scrap tools #-o
Owing to the good bits hiding in the dozen or so boxes I bought I now have even more of it :twisted:
There must have been 20 odd hammers along with the obligatory knackered files, rusty wrenches etc.
The rubbish box was to heavy for me to lift :shock:

The thought of weighing it all in makes me shudder but who would want this sort of stuff?

Andy
If any of the hammers are in reasonable condition and are of a good make, such as Brades, they will sell.
Likewise wrenches, car branded ones, Ford, Jaguar, Bentley etc (ex original car tool-kit stuff) sell.

... and you may be surprised just how much the right ones will make.

I'm sure you know what will sell as tools Andy but scrap is worth a trip to the dealer's yard even for small amounts.

There have been some changes in the law to try and combat cable theft so you will need to drive there, not walk in anonymously and you should get asked for ID. See this thread for more info. https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/scrap-metal-t61551.html

Round here at least there is an easy alternative if you just want to get rid of stuff - leave it on the garden wall and in a matter of hours one of the 'entrepreneurs' will have loaded it onto a van and taken it to the scrap yard for you.

There used to be a charity that refurbished tools for the third world, but they didn't want junk. The items had to have usable life in them, but there does come a time when even the oldest general tool has to go back to the melting pot.

G

Just to say there still a charity that refurbishes tools for developing countries- three of them in fact: Tools for Self Reliance (tfsr.org); Workaid(workaid,org) and Tols With A Mission (twam.org) . All do great work, plenty of stories onthe websites to show how redundant tools can make it paossible for artisans to earn a living. So in anyone has spare tools to donate they will be put to good use helping fellow craftspeople. but you are right- they can't use junk.

Latest posts

Back