Is Pineboard a good alternative to Ply for shop cabinets?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure. I'm in England but never seen 18mm laminated pine in 8x4 sheets. I think 99% UK pine is imported from Scandinavia though.

What did you pay for an 8x4 out of interest?

Here it is

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_184708~2.jpg
    IMG_20200103_184708~2.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 110
Prizen":38hfgy5d said:
woodbloke66":38hfgy5d said:
Pine board is good stuff and generally bone dry, but it will tend to warp and shrink somewhat, so take that into account. Even better though is stack laminated pine board, but unfortunately you've got to make it yourself, which is time consuming, convoluted but which will produce pretty much a wide, quarter sawn pine board - Rob

I've a 8x4 sheet, 18mm thick. When you say "stack" laminate, do you mean glue them to give in my case, a 36mm thick 8x4 sheet?

Here's how you make 'stack laminated pine board' and it's advisable to let the boards fully condition in the shop before work starts:
1. Take several (say 6) boards of ordinary, decent quality pine that have been 'slash' sawn (the stuff you commonly see in builder's merchants etc)
2. Plane each flat on the p/t; ie take out any 'bow'
3. Pass through the thicknesser...doesn't matter how thick they end up
4. Glue them all together to form a thick block of solid pine
5. On the p/t, plane a new face edge
6. Using the bandsaw, re-saw the block with the annual rings parallel to the bandsaw table. The thickness of each piece that comes off the block should be a little thicker than your finished thickness.
7. Rejoin your new quarter sawn boards to form a wider board and plane down to the finished thickness.

You should end up with boards that look like....

IMG_4147.jpg

...this; the centre section being two strips of thinner material as I didn't want to waste it:

If you've picked decent planks to start with, the long grain should look something like this...

IMG_4148.jpg

....which is part of the top for another blanket chest and there are additional sections yet to add to make the full width. It's complicated and convoluted but you do end up with a quarter sawn pine board

If there's any interest in the process I'll start a thread and ask the mods to make it a 'sticky' - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_4147.jpg
    IMG_4147.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4148.jpg
    IMG_4148.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 102
Prizen":1tkfbt4h said:
I'm based in Ireland, and the stuff I have is imported from Finland
I'm in Finland and I haven't seen pineboard in 8'x4' sheets. I have seen longer lengths but nothing quite that wide. I think the widest I have seen is 1m.

I'm not sure now. It was marketed at Lamwood, if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_184550~2.jpg
    IMG_20200103_184550~2.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 53
Back