Is it me..... or are Rutlands going to be selling Easy Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dollars to pounds again.

Big things to transport as well if you are on holiday in the USA.

Noticed the easy chuck had a review already.

I like the rutlands new product emails. Was £££ now £££. But how if it's a new product?

Probably bad news as far as the pricing goes too, Rutlands seems to manage to swing exclusives for distribution from US companies, then they can nail the price high and keep it there.

I've spoken to the manufacturers at the company that makes Worksharp sharpeners (Darex), and I got the impression they're somewhat regretting the exclusive deal, but they seem bound to it legally. They were not even able to sell me directly, the 240 volt version of their own product.

I've given up on Rutlands recently. I'm not normally one to slate a company and I'm normally very understanding, having been in business myself, but recent experiences have left me seriously soured on both the company and the quality of their own-brand goods. Some of the things they stock, you can't tell are "Dakota" brand till delivery either.

Is it the Easy Tools cutters that "Captain Eddie" Castellain on YouTube sells compatibles for on his website? They don't say which tool their cutters are made for, probably for copyright issues, but they're hugely cheaper than the official ones for whatever tool it is (according to his figures)

I'd like to try one of those, maybe I'll save up and hope it's not another exclusive :)

Nic.

Dreadful company. Avoid if at all possible. Most if the cheap Dakota products constantly in some form of sale are cheaper under alternative names not in the sale elsewhere.

Got to agree, poor reputation for customer service. Special offers seem to be spurious. Not the suppliers that I'd like to be associated with.
Just because they can can be cheap doesn't make them on your side.

I am not a turner so may be missing the obvious.

What is special about the easy tools. The only part contacting the wood is the replaceable cutters isn't it, in which case can't you just buy the replacement cutters and make a suitable tool to put them onto. Oh and turn a handle.

@Macros
Absolutely true, but it's sometimes easier and quicker to pay someone else to do a job, than to sort it all out for yourself. If you don't have a tap & die set, basic metal tools, local metal supplier and the confidence to handle making a tool from scratch, it's far easier to pay to get the "official version" pre-made and delivered all shiny to your door.

It's the same as things like Apple vs PC tend to revolve around, one way you pay to not worry about the details, the other, you enjoy working out how to do everything for yourself. I'm actually a figure-it-out type of guy, but I'm not sure I have the confidence, energy or time to add basic metalworking to my workshop just yet :)

Nic.

Making a bar to hold the cutters is dead simple. A hacksaw, bench grinder or file, drill and tap are all you need. I'd be surprised if any keen turner didn't have everything but the tap already and more than enough ability to do it. Took me about five minutes (with cutters from an eBay seller in Arizona - very well priced if you buy a few and keep it under the import limits)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Having had a look at the prices that Rutlands are charging for Easy tools I should think they will be only advertising the products . I can't see many woodturners forking out that kind of money for what could be home made for half the price .

Mike Bremner":1qgol3hu said:
Making a bar to hold the cutters is dead simple. A hacksaw, bench grinder or file, drill and tap are all you need. I'd be surprised if any keen turner didn't have everything but the tap already and more than enough ability to do it. Took me about five minutes (with cutters from an eBay seller in Arizona - very well priced if you buy a few and keep it under the import limits)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Go on @nic, give it a go!

Just ordered some of the carbide cutters, cheapest I found them was here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AZ-Carbide-Ins ... ood?_rdc=1

I'll wait till they arrive and then decide how best to use them, would prefer to use round section mild or silver steel as then I can use in my Rolly Munro or Simon Hope sleeve type handles, but might go square section bar and dedicated handles, not decided yet.

My existing multi purpose shafts are drilled and tapped to 6mm and 5mm, whereas I think these cutters are mounted using 4mm screws which would be a nuisance otherwise I could use the existing shafts !

Cheers, Paul

nicguthrie":138foe94 said:
Probably bad news as far as the pricing goes too, Rutlands seems to manage to swing exclusives for distribution from US companies, then they can nail the price high and keep it there.

I've spoken to the manufacturers at the company that makes Worksharp sharpeners (Darex), and I got the impression they're somewhat regretting the exclusive deal, but they seem bound to it legally. They were not even able to sell me directly, the 240 volt version of their own product.

I've given up on Rutlands recently. I'm not normally one to slate a company and I'm normally very understanding, having been in business myself, but recent experiences have left me seriously soured on both the company and the quality of their own-brand goods. Some of the things they stock, you can't tell are "Dakota" brand till delivery either.

Is it the Easy Tools cutters that "Captain Eddie" Castellain on YouTube sells compatibles for on his website? They don't say which tool their cutters are made for, probably for copyright issues, but they're hugely cheaper than the official ones for whatever tool it is (according to his figures)

I'd like to try one of those, maybe I'll save up and hope it's not another exclusive :)

Nic.

I will endeavour to remain the main supply of Easy Wood Tools into the UK market place as Wood Workers Workshop has been for the past few years, and if we can help or you would like to come and try out the tools for yourselves please give us a call and come and see them in the workshop.
Cheers Peter

paulm":3b4jn8v7 said:
Just ordered some of the carbide cutters, cheapest I found them was here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AZ-Carbide-Ins ... ood?_rdc=1

That's the seller I used and the cutters seem good to me. I found that although the screws sent with them were all the same (8-32 UNC I think - work fine with an M4 tap) some of the cutters could be fitted with a larger screw so you may be lucky with a 5mm.

Mike Bremner":23eaqkij said:
paulm":23eaqkij said:

That's the seller I used and the cutters seem good to me. I found that although the screws sent with them were all the same (8-32 UNC I think - work fine with an M4 tap) some of the cutters could be fitted with a larger screw so you may be lucky with a 5mm.

Fingers crossed then that the 5mm will work Mike, I've already got a round bar made up with a 5mm threaded hole one end and 6mm the other so could try them out on that to start with at least, but not a big job to do some more, round or square bar.

Thks, Paul

paulm":2824iw5w said:
Mike Bremner":2824iw5w said:
paulm":2824iw5w said:

Fingers crossed then that the 5mm will work Mike, I've already got a round bar made up with a 5mm threaded hole one end and 6mm the other so could try them out on that to start with at least, but not a big job to do some more, round or square bar.

Thks, Paul
Hi fellas,,
Please let us know how you get on with the tips,,re the centre hole sizing especially,, I tapped my tool holders M5 because I am using up sintered carbide inserts from my engineering days,,(cheapskate),,problem is that they have no front clearance so they are cocked down at about 15 degrees ,, if you are successful I will try the Arizona ones ,,
P"rhaps you guys should be their importers,,,
,,,,joe,,,,,

:oops: now I am starting with an embarrassed face as I think that's where my question will lead me...can the carbide cutters on eBay be screwed on to the roly Munro hollower?? I know nothing about making your own tools so please be gentle with your replies.

Cheers
Elaine :roll:

Back