Is it FUBAR?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OllyK

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 10" SIP SCMS. It's had reasonable use over the last 3 years or so, used mainly for cutting skirting but other things as well.

The other weekend I was cutting up scrap for the wood pile with it, nothing overly large 2"x4" was about the largest. After about 15 mins I fired it up and it sounded like it was only running at 3/4 speed. So I stopped and packed up for the day, concerned it may have overheated and there was some kind of thermal cut out.

The next day I tried again and the same thing. I took the brushes out, plenty of carbon left there, but the surfaces were pitted. Tried it again tonight and still running slow, then yellow sparks come from the motor vents accompanied by a pop sound. Oops I think. I try again and it still runs.

I took the brushes out and cleaned them up, taking them back to smooth and tried again. Same result, yellow sparks but keeps running.

Anybody got any ideas?

motor winding blown, place in bin, not worth repairing, definitely not worth risking your health over still using

Aidan

I concur , if its sparking and popping and running at 3/4 speed its knackered - bin it. Repair will be uneconomic for a tool that only costs 150 notes new.

Back