Is a Steb Centre really worth it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 7/8" steb drive centre that fits into my Patriot chuck and a larger (1 1/4" ?) revolving steb centre that goes into my 2MT tailstock. I use them both a lot.

Firstly, they locate very well and allow small adjustments to be made of the positioning when turning, for example, a burr piece. Secondly, as other have stated, work can be accurately repositioned - far more accurate than a prong drive. Thirdly, they can be used to do eccentric turning, even if the full diameter of the steb centre is not in contact with the wood. As others have pointed out, the point is spring mounted allowing the tailstock pressure to be reduced without losing the work across the workshop and thus stopping the working piece by hand to inspect.

All in all, I think the steb centres are an excellent product, if a little pricey.

Only the OP can decide if the cost is worth it for him. I find them a whole lot quicker and easier to use and that made it worth it for me.

Back