Is a Steb Centre really worth it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKTony

Established Member
Reaction score
I was about to order a prong centre for my Nova when i came across the Sorby Steb centres, there is a big difference in price. Is anyone using one or have an opinion?

Tony

Yes Tony I have two of the original ones
The half inch and threequarter inch.
I bought them from stebcraft before Sorby bought the licence.

I find them invaluable as the work always goes back in the same place
They are expensive but I think they are worth it.

In a production scenario a new blank can be put on the lathe without stopping it. By slightly releasing the tailstock pressure the work can be inspected without stopping the lathe as point is spring loaded.

Fred

Hi Tony,

I have the two sizes and also find them invaluable for the same reasons Fred gives. They are safe and secure, and far more versatile and accurate than the standard two/four prong drive centres. I wouldn't bother with prong centres now.

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi Tony,
I totally agree with Fred and Trev. I too have the original ones and havn't used my 4 prong since. I think I put it on ebay one of these days.

Another vote for Stebcenters from me.

I have a drive and a tail stock center, and I hardly ever use anything else.

Regards

Gary

PS - Another advantage is that if you are not very confident with a skew, you can slacken off the pressure on the stebcenter so that it is only just driving the workpiece. Then, if you get a catch, the workpiece just stops - no spectacular dig-in followed by cursing and palpitations!!! DAMHIKT

Thankfully I have progressed beyond that stage now, but it was a massive help while trying to master the dreaded skew! :twisted:

Yep they've got my vote too, stebcenters seem to grip the wood alot more than a four prong center. definately worth the money.

Agree with the above, Robert Sorby now also sell a steb centre that fits the Supernova chuck as opposed the morse taper fitment.

Robert Sorby now also sell a steb centre that fits the Supernova chuck as opposed the morse taper fitment.

Both of the stebcentres I have fit the Supernova as standard.
Don't know abut the 2 but if same jaws fit the cannot see a problem

Fred

You asked the same question that I wanted to, thank you. I saw one in action at the weekend and was seriously considering it so I won't hesitate now. Thanks for all the positive responses above.

Same as other people have said, very good, and worth the extra money.

I have a 1" steb centre on 3MT on which I do at times mount large pieces of timber. It holds it securely, but the teeth can tear through the timber more easily than a 4 prong so causing the teeth to slip, but it does stay properly centred. When a similar thing happens with 4 prong drive centres (due to taking too aggressive cuts) I find the 4 prong centre does not stay as well centred.

I have two. They are brilliant for loading & unloading the work without needing to turn the lathe on & off, ie production work but they are not a 'must have' for the average hobbyist.

I am happy to jump on the stab centre choo choo as well. I am not in any form of production scenario but splashed out on one as soon as I got the lathe and am happy I did.

Hi

I've had the 1/2" and 7/8" versions since they were first available, (and before this topic was raised :) ) - if I had to limit myself to a single drive centre from the six that I have I'd keep the 7/8" Stebcentre.

Regards Mick

For his sake I hope he made some money out of it but I doubt very much he's made as much as Sorby.

I have every sympathy with the inventor but the patent only applies in the UK - It's a real pity he didn't have the money or foresight to file it internationally because, while the rest of the world have access to less expensive Steb copies, we've been paying top-dollar for Sorby's versions as the only UK licensee.

The irony though is that it was probably the high price of the Sorby version that made it worth copying and undercutting.

Jon

Hi

They were expensive from day one - I think I paid £35 each for them before Sorby took the license.

Regards Mick

Back