Is 12mm workbench top too thin? (Plywood)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roboboyo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys, as the title suggests

Is a 12mm workbench top too thin? (Using birch ply)

Would 18mm be more ideal ?

Obviously 12mm would be cheaper but I don’t want to jeopardise functionality etc etc (for the sake of saving a few pounds).

Has anyone used 12mm ply for their workbench top to satisfactory results?

Any help greatly appreciated 🙂.

Thanks to everyone on here who has taken the time to get involved/respond to my previous threads!! Merry Xmas to everyone at UKWORKSHOP 🎄

12mm would be too thin for most circumstances even with enough underneath support. It ready depends on what you will use the workbench for? If you need the bench to have some weight then it may be better to laminate some softwood 4x2's or even 3x2's.

Thanks guys. So basically I have built the frame of my mitre station with 2 by 3’s (pending top) witch will be used for general woodworking tasks on either side of the saw.. e.g vice Work, sanding, routing, glue ups, hammering etc etc.

Would 18mm hardwood ply be ok ?

You have not said if you are a powertool user or someone who wields the heavy handtools which will dictate the type of bench and rigidity needed. To get the extra strength you could back the ply with MDF or just use MDF as it is a cost effective worktop that properly supported can take a bashing.

I would think 36mm min thickness, My old bench was 1 sheet 25mm mdf 1 sheet 18mm mdf then topped off with 18mm shuttering ply on top of a framework of 3x2 cls with 6x 100mm x 100mm legs braced , I used it for building sash and boxed Windows it amazing how the weight builds up as you progress not to mention the noise dampening you get from a thick top . My new bench yet to be built will only use 18mm mdf top rebated into a 3x2 cls ladder frame but then i will only be working in 1/12th scale modeling so that equates to a 38mm worktop

I built my bench as a general purpose bench, 18mm of 4x2 frame, but got into woodworking much more during lockdown.

I therefore put two lengths of 6x2 on top to give it a bit of heft and a tool well at the back. It's in a corner so dosent rack too much but if free standing I'd put a 8" apron on it.

I built my bench as a general purpose bench, 18mm of 4x2 frame, but got into woodworking much more during lockdown.

I therefore put two lengths of 6x2 on top to give it a bit of heft and a tool well at the back. It's in a corner so dosent rack too much but if free standing I'd put a 8" apron on it.
Bought a 6x3 foot bench at auction years ago from a garage business that had gone bust. Welded from heavy gauge angle and with a top made of lengths of 6x2. Just replaced the wood as it had taken a beating and was soaked in oil. 2mm steel sheet over the top and is still my favourite for stripping down a gearbox or similar. I think I only paid about £30 for it.

I have an assembly bench topped with 9mm and that’s been just fine. 18mm for general use

The top of my secondary bench is a 3m length of 40mm wood kitchen worktop supported on a 3x2 C16 frame with 18mm flooring grade chipboard off cuts for a shelf underneath. The chipboard needs edging to prevent bits chipping off but is cost effective especially if you can scrounge offcuts for nothing. (Mine were left over from another project).

My main bench is 12mm over 100 by 100 framing, it's used for assembling panels etc.

My saw bench is made from 150 by 38.

I have a general purpose bench with heavy duty vice attached made from 100 by 100 top and frame.

There's also two sets of kitchen cupboards with worktops which get used quite a bit.

Hi guys, as the title suggests

Is a 12mm workbench top too thin? (Using birch ply)

Would 18mm be more ideal ?

Obviously 12mm would be cheaper but I don’t want to jeopardise functionality etc etc (for the sake of saving a few pounds).

Has anyone used 12mm ply for their workbench top to satisfactory results?

Any help greatly appreciated 🙂.

Thanks to everyone on here who has taken the time to get involved/respond to my previous threads!! Merry Xmas to everyone at UKWORKSHOP 🎄
Hello,
It rather depends on how heavy is the use you intend to put it to. Heavy to normal use 19/18 mm, 12 mm for light use. My dad was recently involved in very light construction and the perfect flat surface was a haOf sheet of plasterboard. He had to have a large flat surface to construct a large model aeroplane wing. The plasterboard also made the pinning easy,
Regards

Latest posts

Back