Iroko Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maymay

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help me regarding Iroko wood ,i would like to attempt making a lap steel guitar with it but not quite sure of its suitability,also is there any hazards regarding this type of wood
Regards
Maymay
(hammer)

Make sure you have good extraction.

I always remember seeing my next door neighbour after he had been working with Iroko and he had a huge rash after working with it.

I think Whitmores timber sell Iroko if not they can get anything in for you.

I don't like Iroko or more correctly it doesn't like me, horrible wood good extraction is a must.

It can be done :)

Attachments

• IMG_0656C.jpg
    IMG_0656C.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0659C.jpg
    IMG_0659C.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 170
I would ask, why even think about using iroko? The same arguments apply to iroko as are being aired about mahogany on another thread.

Chris

Oh jeez! With the reaction it can cause externally on your skin, imagine the damage it's do if it gets inside.

Leave it well along unless you can extract ALL the dust.

Hi youall
The only reason i asked the question was i was given a few used lenghts of Iroko and was going to make a lap steel,but due to all the comments i think its getting burned
Regards

Hello,

Don't burn it! It is a really good exterior wood, make some patio furniture. It is all about context, it is fine as long as it is treated with respect.

Mike.

maymay":3f239ovk said:
Hi youall
The only reason i asked the question was i was given a few used lenghts of Iroko and was going to make a lap steel,but due to all the comments i think its getting burned
Regards

Never had a problem with the stuff. Yes it is peppery scented, and it might make you sneeze. (So does pepper itself, but I still put it on my food!) In my case it's a good clear-out of sinuses! Decent extraction and/or a good face mask helps.

Please don't burn it. Flog it to someone who will use it.

John

Benchwayze":z1h1tfba said:
maymay":z1h1tfba said:
Hi youall
Regards

Never had a problem with the stuff. Yes it is peppery scented, and it might make you sneeze. (So does pepper itself, but I still put it on my food!) In my case it's a good clear-out of sinuses! Decent extraction and/or a good face mask helps.

John

Sharp tools don't make dust! And well finished iroko is gorgeous. Classic wood for victorian museum cases.

BugBear

I have used it for boats, bit open grained but lasts well and looks good when varnished :)
yes, makes dust with power tools, I used a planer blade in my saw and that was very good at making fine sawdust ( with any wood).

Ive used iroko for joinery for many years, its a great timber. Highly durable, close grained, finishes well and is stable in service.

Large boards of iroko can have a great deal of tension when ripped or cross cut. Calcium deposits wreak havoc on hss blades.

I dont know if I would consider it a special timber for a musical insrrument, but it can have attractive grain and dark pieces are a rich chocolate brown.

bugbear":1mq2yl8b said:
Benchwayze":1mq2yl8b said:
maymay":1mq2yl8b said:
Hi youall
Regards

John

Sharp tools don't make dust! And well finished iroko is gorgeous. Classic wood for victorian museum cases.

BugBear

Machines do though BB. :wink:

Back