Iroko Gate my first venture into pegged M&T

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whittler1507

Established Member
Reaction score
My first attempt at a proper gate to replace the temporary gate I put up 5 years ago lol.

It's iroko, 90 x 45mm stiles and Rails. Cheated a bit and used the domino on the centre rail and the uprights.

Raised panel on the base (floated) pics are dry fit only need to sand and peg next.

90a44cfe718ab9266acea9c83d68468a.jpg

acdb7020764ed871bf649f19b57ca06d.jpg

If you think you can, or think you cannot, you're correct.

That's a smart looking gate ! Only thing that I'd alter would be the stuck on capping on the top rail. I think it might look a little sleeker if the bevel was on the actual top rail instead of a seperate bit.
Hope you're allowing a decent expansion gap on a panel that size. It'll be scary how much that could swell. Apologies if the post sounds a little negative, it'd be a shame if the panel blew the stiles off :) ;)
Cheers

Coley

Very smart and an excellent first gate . As Coley has said however the construction could have been improved with the addition of a mullion , but very well done .

Very nice =D>

The capping on the top rail looks ok to me

Thanks, the capping was very heavy on that pic and has been trimmed down and the bevel sanded some ill put another pic on. Thank you for the comments I have one question and that is the best way to brace the gate behind the panel. Do I diagonally brace towards the hinged side or put an A type arrangement on the back? Hope that makes sense

whittler1507 said:
Thanks, the capping was very heavy on that pic and has been trimmed down and the bevel sanded some ill put another pic on. Thank you for the comments I have one question and that is the best way to brace the gate behind the panel. Do I diagonally brace towards the hinged side or put an A type arrangement on the back? Hope that makes sense

Like this hinge side is where the tape is

a59189291422ffa13e35755e61609998.jpg

Or like this but fitted obviously

24f5aa23b38225dd92552911e6b8fbdd.jpg

@max Power @ColeyS1 not sure what you mean by Mullion. After looking it up it applies to Windows? Would you mind explaining? Do you mean the capping on the top rail?

I think they are suggesting a central vertical rail then creating two panels in the bottom section

I think the correct terminology would be a muntin which usually applies to doors (well in the UK anyway) mullion refers to windows and as this construction is closer to a door than a window muntin would be correct

Both refer to vertical rails

Thanks, making me think for the next gate a 6ft side entry gate

The 'A type' arrangement for the bracing would be most suitable. Generally a brace needs to be at a steeper angle than 45degrees to be most effective.
Max power was suggesting having two smaller panels instead of a large one to help with allowing for expansion. A panel that size could easily swell 10mm+ when wet (especially if left to weather naturally) so that would mean two quite sloppy grooves (5ish mm each side) sharing the expansion over 4 grooves would mean a smaller expansion being needed (perhaps 2.5mm each side) shrinkage in the baking sun may also be a factor. Something that wide is definitely gonna be hard to guestimate how much it might move.
The comment regarding the capping was just personal preference. The gate looked stunning, the original capping looked a little like an after thought imho. It looks much better now it's been softened/reduced.

Coley

Latest posts

Back