iPods and generic MP3 players

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I want an iPod.

"I want can't have", as my mother would say.

Actually I'm not even sure I really want an iPod, hence this post.

I want to brush up my Italian, and I have an audio course on cassette (!) and I have the ability to transfer it to MP3, or at least my mate does. There is also a free online MP3 course, so lots of material available.

The problem is that I don't like the idea of being tied into iTunes as the operating system and interface. I already have an MP3 player, a Sony, which is an OK little machine, but with lousy interface and diabolical back end. It doesn't actually play MP3 files at all, it plays OMA files, does the conversion for you and triples your disk space requirements in the process.

So what I want is a machine with a good on board OS and non-proprietary transfer interface.

What are my options please?

Cheers
Steve

I neither want to be tied to iTunes (or thrid party compatible software that may officially not exists), I do not want Apple to restrict me into using specific version of Windows or Mac OS X, I do not want to be forced into using any proprietary software with a player and I do not want to be forced into DRM.

So I have the Asian / Russian Samsung player (or get a western Samsung and change the firmware)

I can't recommend anything as I was finally seduced with and iPod Nano. It's the only device that is universal enough to connect to my car, stereo, workshop dock without lots of additional wires.

But I totally agree with everything you said about the software, I hate it.

I used to have an Archos MP3 player which worked via files and folders. Loading MP3s was as simple as drag and drop through windows. I went on to a an iRiver unit which was the same.

You don't mention what capacity you want?

I don't understand why you think you will be tied into iTunes? I've got a touch and think its great.

I bought my nieces a tiny MP3 player last Christmas. From memory it was 1Gb which is not huge but plenty for a bunch of songs while on the School bus. As far as I am aware it plugged in to a USB port like a memory stick and you just copied files across. So they do exist even if I don't remember the make. Think it might have come from Amazon.

Andrew

Here you go. At 15.99 a bit cheaper than an iPod as well.

Steve
Don't give up on the Sony. Depending on which model it is these two apps might help:
http://nwe00xmp3man.sourceforge.net/
http://www.drvoid.com/
Both allow direct copying of MP3 files without the horrible SonicStage.
I've used them both with a Sony NW-E... series and they work as they should.
Otherwise, I'd get a player that's compatible with Windows Media Player - if you're using a PC. And as someone suggested a mobile phone with enough memory or a memory card slot may be your best bet if it's not for jogging at the gym!!
Cheers
Gidon

Steve

Here's a few pointers for you:

- iTunes the software and iTunes Store are two different things.
- iTunes the software is absolutely fine, a good intuitive piece of software with nice interface, not too bloated and easy to use.
- iTunes is a media store where you can purchase media from should you choose (I am now on an iPod Touch, my 4th generation of iPod and have yet to even look at iTunes never mind purchase anything from it).

- The iPod as a device is not tied in to iTunes Store.

There are many suitable devices on the market, what you need to concern yourself with are the following:

- What media will you be wanting to play (music, video, audiobooks etc)
- Are you a techy geek getting hung up on the relative benefits of OGG over MP3? If not, then any of the available devices on the market will work for you (I will agree with the comment on SONY though. I am generally a massive SONY fan, but their insistence on using AAC format is mystifying. It doubles the size of your files without adding any aural benefits).

Take the above, look through some likely candidates and see if they offer what you need.

I personally use an iPod Touch. On this I have hundreds of albums, hours of video (woodworking podcasts etc), many audiobooks and countless other features which I don't really use. I would not change anything about this device, the sound is as good as any, it is quick, intuitive and fairly easy to use once you have had a play with it.

Before anyone screams, I am not an apple fanboy of any kind, just very happy with a product that has been brilliantly designed and thought out (and by a Brit too!!!). I am well aware of the many other devices out there, and I'm sure they all have their relative merits, but IMO apple do it best and nobody can quite touch them so far....

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Mark

OK chaps, thank you all.

My concern re iTunes is that I thought, and perhaps I'm wrong about this, that you "register" the device with a PC. If you change the PC you lose the stuff on the iPod and gain the stuff on the new PC. It's an attempt to stop piracy (and being a creator of IP I can quite understand the concern!) but I've had too many generations of PC to be sure I wouldn't, at some point, lose my entire music collection. It could all be replaced, but at what hassle?

SWMBO has an iPod Video and loves it, but then she only uses it a couple of times a year. I don't think she even took it on hols this year.

I don't really know enough about the pros and cons of the technology and the interfaces to be able to make an informed choice right now.

Thanks for the SONY links, I'll check them out.

S

Hi Steve

Technically that is correct, but there is absolutely nothing to stop you from transferring all the music from old PC to new, then re-registering the iPod, putting you back where you were pre-PC change.

I have done this twice now and never have a problem.

Cheers

Mark

What a faff. I wonder if this futile attempt at curbing piracy has had any effect.

I got myself a cheapo player from ebay a couple of years ago, it plays mp3's no problem and just drag and drop the files in windows no problem.

Check these guys out, when I used them in the past they were really helpful about helping me find the right player for my requirements whether or not it was the most expensive (it wasn't, not by a long shot!).

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/

A couple of my mates have recently bought Samsung mp3 players and rave about them, YP or YPK something.

Oryxdesign":19ed9w0g said:
I don't understand why you think you will be tied into iTunes? I've got a touch and think its great.

You are because Apple decided not to implement one of the standard methods but instead create a new (with some other companies support) and incompatible method of connecting the iPod to a computer with restructions between the hardware player and the software program incorporated into the connection method. Officially the iPod can only be used with Apple approved software and the Apple approved software can only be used with Apple approved devices.

Smudger":19ed9w0g said:
What's wrong with iTunes?

Everyting.

TrimTheKing":19ed9w0g said:
Steve

- iTunes the software is absolutely fine, a good intuitive piece of software with nice interface, not too bloated and easy to use.
It's an ill desinged bloated piece of software that is extremely restructive on specific versions of the Operating system. Depening on the operating system, either the software refuses to install (without any techinal reason), features are disabled (again without any technical reason, some can be re-enabled trough hidden options). The user interface is limited and allows no user choice or freedom of use as suited for you. The user interface des not comply with accessibility rules.

- iTunes is a media store where you can purchase media from should you choose (I am now on an iPod Touch, my 4th generation of iPod and have yet to even look at iTunes never mind purchase anything from it).

Luckely not.

I personally use an iPod Touch. On this I have hundreds of albums, hours of video (woodworking podcasts etc), many audiobooks and countless other features which I don't really use. I would not change anything about this device, the sound is as good as any, it is quick, intuitive and fairly easy to use once you have had a play with it.
The software on the player disables very usable features the hardware offers and you have paid for, is somewhat power hungy. The device restricts upon the software it can communicate with, the device refuses to play files which are technical playable by the device.

With my previous MP3 players I used a modified firmware project. It's an open source project with good intentions. I now see that they are covering iPods. Those that can't stand iTunes might want to take a look.

http://www.rockbox.org

My concern re iTunes is that I thought, and perhaps I'm wrong about this, that you "register" the device with a PC. If you change the PC you lose the stuff on the iPod and gain the stuff on the new PC. It's an attempt to stop piracy (and being a creator of IP I can quite understand the concern!) but I've had too many generations of PC to be sure I wouldn't, at some point, lose my entire music collection. It could all be replaced, but at what hassle?

Not quite sure I understand this. I plug my ipod into my home PC, my laptop and my work PC without any trouble at all. Nothing lost from the ipod at all, I just use my work PC to play music which is stored on the ipod - like accessing files from any other plug in drive.

Steve.

tnimble":ezobkmge said:
Oryxdesign":ezobkmge said:

You are because Apple decided not to implement one of the standard methods but instead create a new (with some other companies support) and incompatible method of connecting the iPod to a computer with restructions between the hardware player and the software program incorporated into the connection method. Officially the iPod can only be used with Apple approved software and the Apple approved software can only be used with Apple approved devices.

Smudger":ezobkmge said:
What's wrong with iTunes?

Everyting.

TrimTheKing":ezobkmge said:
Steve

It's an ill desinged bloated piece of software that is extremely restructive on specific versions of the Operating system. Depening on the operating system, either the software refuses to install (without any techinal reason), features are disabled (again without any technical reason, some can be re-enabled trough hidden options). The user interface is limited and allows no user choice or freedom of use as suited for you. The user interface des not comply with accessibility rules.

Luckely not.

The software on the player disables very usable features the hardware offers and you have paid for, is somewhat power hungy. The device restricts upon the software it can communicate with, the device refuses to play files which are technical playable by the device.
So you don't like iTunes or apple then? :wink:

I do admit that I 'jailbreak'ed my touch the day I got it, and this has freed up a lot of the file playing issues you mention, but I have to disagree with that iTunes is a bloated and ill behaved app. I have never once experienced any of the issues you mention, but then again I have built my own PC's for the last 10 years and I know what I'm doing, so maybe that's why....

Cheers

Mark

Mark
what do you mean by "jailbreaked"?

I've been looking at some of the offerings on the advancedMP3players.com site. Quite like the look of the iRiver L. I don't suppose anyone actually has one, do they?

S

Back