Introduction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulK

Reaction score
Hi Folks, Just joined the Fourm and thought I would inrtoduce myself a bit and ask my first question. :)

I have a double length garage as my workshop in Poole, Dorset. Last summer I purchased a handfull of Clarke pieces (table saw, bandsaw, mitre saw, et.) from Machine Mart, bought the cheaper stuff as I didn't know how much time I would have to spend in the workshop and how much I would enjoy it. Glad to say that I am enjoying the time in my workshop tremendously and wouldn't be without it now, however still don't have as much time in there as I would wish.

The table saw I bought is the Clarke 10" which has a really bad fence on it, it's not sturdy enough and the end moves away from the blade frequently and it's locking mechanism makes it nearly impossible to set accurately.

I am planning on building a router table and had the thought of building it as an extension to the table saw and putting a fence on that could be used for both machines and providing a 4' cutting width for the saw.

Here come the questions:

1) is this feasable or am I missing something by merging the two machines into 1?

2) is there a fence available that will do the trick, with micro adjustment if possible, that doesn't cost a fortune?

thanks in advance for your help.

regards

Paul K

Paul,
Welcome to the forum.

What you are proposing can be done. Ian Dalziel has demonstrated a similar combination that turned an indifferent table saw into a very accurate unit. However, it was a big job. There will be some pix here somewhere and it was a Good Woodworking article.

I'll try and find the links but someone will probably beat me to it.

Hi Paul. Welcome to the forum.

Not sure about the fence but don't be to afraid to ask. I am a noob too and was designing a fence for my own router table and made a big booboo. I thought the router fence had to be parallel to the mitre guide slot but this is not so and using both mitre guide and fence is apparently a no-no.

Fence has to be tight to the bed is all and a couple of F-clamps can do that lol

Anyway everyone here is friendly and helpful so don't be scared to ask anything (except how Alf powers his tools :wink: ).

Paul welcome to the forum.

As for the saw, Agree has one of these and i am sure that he will give you all the tips you need.

Regards

Woody

Hi Paul

Welcome to the forum.

You need to look at GWW issue 153 for Ian Dalziel's 4 in 1 workstation.

Cheers
Neil

PS A word to the wise, keep away from the members in the Poole area. :lol:

HI Paul
Did someone say Poole?? :lol:
Welcome to the forum. And keep your eyes open for ther Woodkateers,
Cheers
Philly :D

Paul,
There is a woodwork show in a few days time (yandles Martock) and I know the Poole fellows always like to have an initiating ceremony for any of their new brethren so if you have a look at the show thread you might be able to join the gang. By the way it is a tradition that the men from Poole buy the tea, I think it is because they have the least distance to travel or perhaps it because they are such nice guys.

Hi Paul

Welcome to the forum

Poole eh? Well situated for a couple of tool collectors, errr, woodworkers :wink:

Your idea is definitely feasible and there have been many posts on here on that subject over the past couple of years. I that Ian Dalziel's work is on here too and should provide inspiration.

Here,s a fence I made for a cheap saw and it worked realy well (take a lorry to deflect it :lol: )

Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcoming replies.

I have just subscribed to GWW, couldn't find anywhere to order back issues though :( I have seen a few posts mentioning Ian's workstation so am keen to get those two issues, will try phoning them later today.

Have put the Martock show in my diary, looks like a good place to visit anyway, not sure the other half would agree :p

Thanks for the link to your fence Tony, looks good, not sure if I could pull that off though, will have to re-read it thoroughly.

Paul

Hi Paul,

If you have phoned about back issues, chances are we haven't got any. We used to keep quite a few, but in an office move we had to ditch a load, (Health and safety etc :evil: )so we may not have any spares to send out.
If you get no joy, email me you're details and i'll do some photocopies for you and put them in the post.
I'm in the workshop testing stuff for the next issue for the next week, so I won't be able to sort it out until I get back to the office though.

cheers,
Andy

[email protected]
OR: [email protected]

PaulK
Welcome to the forum from the third Dorset Woodkateer over near Dorchester though I am at Frank Greenslades on Quay Road most week evenings.
Regards
Martin

Back