Interesting pieces of furniture - 6

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this piece on a fine furniture book cover and all I can say is WOW
Grin-Nod.gif
Grin-Nod.gif
Grin-Nod.gif
Grin-Nod.gif
Grin-Nod.gif

For me it shows design and insight expressed with love of wood.

One day I want to be able to do something remotely as this
Green.gif
Green.gif
Green.gif
MSN-Blush.gif

The back of the chair is amazing. I love the curves - they look like contour lines on a map. The picture of this chair on my screen is like staring at an optical illusion and my eyes can't work out what shape the back actually is because the vertical curved bars distort my eye. The colouring of the holly and the curves make it look rather like it's made from bone. It's really quite fascinating and I could stare at the back in awe for hours. Once you get down to the cushion all the fun's over with.

I think it would be an amazing chair for 'Death' (chap with the black cloak and scythe) to sit in. Not enough skulls for his throne, but ideal for a dining room chair.

Don't think I'd like it in my house though.

I love chairs! This a wonderful design and I'd be proud to own it. But would it fit in my house....?...... yes, probably a lot more comfortably than the David Savage coffee table.

If John wants to loan this chair to me for a month I could tell you how I get on living with it :wink:

a chair like this is so far removed from the constraints of square and true or even angled that, for me i feel its alien and unlike most things wooden. the best analogy is between normal furniture and a handcrafted windsor chair. one is trapped by its material and the other is organic both in form and construction. i personally am more moved by a nice old windsor than this chair as plastic moulding has made such curves common. but such objects should be made and the balance of the piece is superb.

Mr_Grimsdale":26he2wlg said:
So far it's all been flashy and meretricious except for the cupboard with the parrot.

Funny, that's my favourite so far too, despite really disliking the marquetry. Clean simple form.

I have to agree the craftsmanship is amazing. The work and skill that has gone into it I could not begin to guess at. But, I don't like it! It is as simple as that really. Nothing I can put my finger on, its just not for me.

Bob

I like the design, and the craftsmanship is outstanding, but for me furniture has to be practical otherwise it is just an ornament. So no its not for me.

I like certain aspects about this chair, and I certainly admire the workmanship from what I can tell in the pictures.

The back is what mainly causes me pause. It appears like my back would have to sink back to touch. May not be the case, but the picture seems that way to me.

It would be quite a feat to make and to make so well. I do like the overall shape, to me it looks inviting.

My personal favorite in the seating section of the Makepeace web site is the bench at Keble College. Now that looks comfy to me.

Take care, Mike

I spent 20 years making, and then importing rattan (cane) furniture. I can't help thinking that the inspiration for this piece came from some of the high-end design-led rattan designs which have been around for a while. I've seen very similar styles on my trips to the far east.

I can imagine how it would be made in cane, but in holly?!!

I am gobsmacked. The craftsmanship is absolutely stunning! I can't see evidence of a single joint!

Each componant must have had it's own individual jig in which it was held after being steamed and bent. The precise shape of each jig could only have been established after much trial and error. We are talking about weeks here just getting the jigs right! For the prototype of a production run this R&D work can be rationalised over the whole run, but for a single piece it is an immense commitment.

I think it is absolutely beautiful but so far away from what I am capable of, and what I can sell, that it is as if it is from another planet.

I'll stick with the MDF kitchens for now!!

Cheers
Brad

PS Anybody any idea of the price? I'm dying to see Shivers get his teeth into it! :lol:

FWIW My opening bid - 15 grand!

Mr_Grimsdale":2i9g3abl said:
Makepeace; gross tarty stuff for rich people with no taste but who do want to be seen spending.
What about some real furniture in this series? So far it's all been flashy and meretricious except for the cupboard with the parrot and the little desk thing.

cheers
Jacob

Jacob,

At the risk of getting sucked into a Spantonesque squabble with you, would you not agree that all fields of human endeavour require there to be a 'cutting edge' at which a few people work, pushing the boundaries of what is possible and what is acceptable to the population at large?

And would you not also agree that these few people need and deserve to be adequately remunerated? And that in the fields of furniture design, art, architecture, etc etc this remuneration inevitably comes, and always has come, from wealthy individuals commisioning or buying their work?

Your stance of puritanical inverse snobbery has been amusing; however it is in danger of becoming just a little tiresome. :lol:

Cheers
Brad

All further comments should be on topic.

Adam

I suppose this is a bit like if a car magazine only reviewed porches etc. It is nice in that everyone would love to have a porche and likes to look at the interiors and how well designed and engineered and expensive they are but eventually people are looking for reviews of stuff that is affordable and practical for the wife and kids.

I like to look at these nice expensive pieces of furniture that are beautifully designed and are art works but evetually it would be nice to look at something practical that I could maybe build one day and put in the house or sell if ever fortunate to get to that level

Mr_Grimsdale":1eiqvnzv said:
Makepeace; gross tarty stuff for rich people with no taste but who do want to be seen spending.
What about some real furniture in this series? So far it's all been flashy and meretricious except for the cupboard with the parrot and the little desk thing.

cheers
Jacob

Maybe you should put your favourite furniture forward by pm'ing me?

Also, those pieces you detest are ones other members like - we all have different tastes

The workmanship is just staggering, as someone else said , I'd be scarred to sit on it. Imagine making all those joints !!!

Must have been great to study underneath him at Parnham College

I've heard it said somewhere he is the only chair maker alive today who can charge 50,000 UKP for a chair he designed and made :shock: Put's David Savage into bargain basement prices does it not.

I've made some small pieces out of holly, very nice wood to work, but drying it without it cracking and warping was a nightmare.

AndyBoyd wrote:
Must have been great to study underneath him at Parnham College
When the college was open it was a very pleasant day out to visit. The house and gardens were fantastic and it was great to see the guys working in the 'shop.....tea shop was also very good iirc :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":2jht1lbm said:
When the college was open it was a very pleasant day out to visit. The house and gardens were fantastic and it was great to see the guys working in the 'shop.....

I always regret never having visited the college :cry: Must have been a nice atmosphere. Many of the people who studied there have gone on to be great craftsmen.

I like your new avatar, Rob :D Is that Mum or daughter?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back